Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
1-0-1
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Bernd

Detailed Bottleneck Info and general tips for wireless

Post by 1-0-1 »

Is there any reference material or even additional logs to determine the exact details of the bottleneck? How does VEEAM B&R for instance determine certain sections of the backup process flow is a bottleneck.

The network bottleneck is pretty straight forward but also made be wonder at times. For example - over a 100Mbps wireless connection I have a replication job processing at 18MB/s which would be 144Mb/s. I know in this case the throughput is not necessarily only network related but also processing related.
Others bottleneck readings are not that straight forward to understand. For instance the 'Source' one. The way I understand this would include storage subsystem, host, virtual guest and SAN network?

Is there any tips or tech articles on how to tune VEEAM B&R 6.5 for wireless transfers. I just cannot seem to max out my wireless link although my link test indicate and max out the wireless link.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Detailed Bottleneck Info and general tips for wireless

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

Have already seen our sticky FAQ, or more specifically, the section regarding bottleneck statistics? Might be useful.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
1-0-1
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Bernd

Post by 1-0-1 »

Thanks - that is good enough. I am still trying to understand how network bottlenecks correlate to the processing rate. E.g we have a virtual machines replicating at a processing rate of 101 MB/s (individual disks are between 4-6 MB/s) over a 100 Mb/s wireless. The line utilization shows about 14 MB/s which is about 114 Mb/s. This is confusing to say the least. I understand that the network is the bottleneck but from the VEEAM states I cannot make a logical conclusion.

.... or maybe I am looking into this too much :?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Bernd, processing rate shown in in the job stats is just the average speed of processing of all VMs in the job. It is calculated as total size of your source VM data divided by the time the job took to finish. So, actually it has nothing to do with link bandwidth at all.

As Veeam B&R only reads the changes and sends compressed and deduped data across the link, effective data transfer rate is calculated differently.