Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
daphnis
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

Restoring Linux databases consistently

Post by daphnis »

We have a VM that is running Red Hat Enterprise and Oracle database on top of that on ESXi 5.0. Although the Veeam job that contains this VM has Application-aware processing (and VMtools quiescence in advanced settings), is this enough to allow transactionally-consistent database backups? Say, for example, if I wanted to just restore the Oracle database...would I have issues there? I have done a test restore of the full machine (to another VM) and had no problems booting it up. The boot message displayed after booting showed no errors. Am I in the clear on both of these scenarios? Or is there something else I need to be doing to have guaranteed recoverability? Also to note is the "experimental" file system sync driver (vmsync) is not enabled on this box. VMware apparently elevated its status in 5.1 so it no longer says "experimental", but it is still disabled by default when doing the quick install.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Restoring Linux databases consistently

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

"Application-aware image processing" can only be used with Windows VMs, and since you're running the RHEL VM, there is no need to enable this option. As regards your question about application consistency, then VMware Tools quiescence with pre-freeze/post-thaw scripts should be enough to guarantee consistent backups of your Oracle database. Should more details be required, please search these forums for existing topics about Oracle database backups.

On the other hand, as far as I know even without pre-freeze and post-thaw Oracle database seems can be restored in a fully working state.

Thank you!
daphnis
Enthusiast

Post by daphnis »

Thanks for the response. When you enable the VMware tools quiescence on Linux, does it require the vmsync driver to be installed? Other posts I see on the forum deal with Oracle as it pertains to Microsoft server OSs. I am trying some restore scenarios, but I'd welcome thoughts or comments from others facing the same issue.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Some things that should be kept in mind regarding back/replication of Linux VM:

• Today it’s highly recommended to backup/replicate Linux VM using vmsync driver.
• To enable VMware Quiescence, firstly you should deploy VMware tools on each VM.
• In order to use vmsync driver, it should be manually enabled during first VMware Tools installation. Otherwise, if you’ve already installed VMWare Tools, you need to re-run the VMware Tools Configuration (vmware-config-tools.pl) and enter yes when it asks for the VMware FileSystem Sync Driver.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
daphnis
Enthusiast

Post by daphnis »

Thanks. What about the fact that in 5.0 this driver is considered "experimental" by VMware and that in 5.1, it is not. Have you seen any issues caused by enabling this in 5.0, or is it safe?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello,

I can’t find any problems related to B&R and vmsync on this forum, and on VMware community all the related topics are regarding more Linux configuration issues, so no "heavy problems" or "known issues' spotted. Also found a good blog post regarding the Consistent Linux Backups with VMware. You might be interested in it, as I was :D

For the question about experimental - I do only see that this word was erased since 5.1, but no official background on that - anyhow the lack of problems shows its stable.
daphnis
Enthusiast

Post by daphnis » 1 person likes this post

Thanks, yes, I remember reading this post a while back. After I did, I couldn't find anything on VMware's site that went into more detail about this driver or any notes about its status being elevated from experimental. I guess I'll just give it a shot.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Exaclty,

Will be glad to find out any updates here regarding your testing,
Cheers!