Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mongie
Expert
Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Alex Macaronis

Long term storage of backups on disk

Post by mongie »

Just wondering if any of you guys are storing large numbers of points on disk?

We're working on a few retention options to put to the business here and one of them would be 1-2 years of dailys on disk (520 restore points). Are there any issues with this assuming you have an adequate spacing of full backups?

I see there appears to be a limit of 999 restore points, is there a reason for that? If I wanted to keep 1820 (7 years of dailys) on disk, is there any reason why this wouldn't work?

Second question is - I know tape backups is coming for Veeam, is there anywhere you can get information on what this will involve? do Veeam do upcoming feature disclosures with NDA?

Thanks
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Long term storage of backups on disk

Post by veremin »

Are there any issues with this assuming you have an adequate spacing of full backups?
Providing you have adequate space to store it, there wouldn’t be any issues.
If I wanted to keep 1820 (7 years of dailys) on disk, is there any reason why this wouldn't work?
Just out of curiosity – for what purpose you’re willing to preserve such a big amount of daily backups?

Right now 999 seems to be the hardcoded limit, however, as a workaround, you can copy the oldest restore points to additional drive and let retention policy delete them from the primary storage. As long as you have the whole backup chain intact, you’ll be able to restore from whatever point you want.
Second question is - I know tape backups is coming for Veeam, is there anywhere you can get information on what this will involve?
These features are likely to be disclosed within Veeam Countdown program and closer to the release, as well. If you want to stay on top of our v7 feature announcements, register at this page.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
mongie
Expert
Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Alex Macaronis

Re: Long term storage of backups on disk

Post by mongie »

Urgh...

Trying to plan a backup infrastructure without knowing about the tape features sucks...