Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Bubo
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: David Ferrari

Info about licencing and configutation

Post by Bubo »

Hi, I'm thinking about using Veeam replication for one little probject and I'd need some info.

Here is the situation:

I have 2 vmware clusters in two sites (one per site, of course) and I'd like to replicate from site 1 to site 2. I'll need a backup server, a backup repository and two backup proxies (one for each site).

- About the license, do I need to count che cpu socket in the first site or in both? For example, just say I have one esx host with two socket in each site. Does it mean a license for 2 sockets o 4?

- The license covers for both of my backup proxies?

And now the tricky part.
If I need to do a replica from site 2 to site 1 too, do I need another Backup server installed on site 2? Could that server use the same backup proxies of the one on site 1?

I hope it's all clear. If not, just ask :)
Thank you in advance
kjc3303
Expert
Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Kevin Clarke

Re: Info about licencing and configutation

Post by kjc3303 »

And now the tricky part.
If I need to do a replica from site 2 to site 1 too, do I need another Backup server installed on site 2? Could that server use the same backup proxies of the one on site 1?
No, just proxies on both sites, which you would already have in your scenario. Just create the replication job at site 1 to replicate from 2 to 1

Kev
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

David, please review the Licensing section of the sticky FAQ topic, should answer all your questions regarding licensing.
Bubo wrote:If I need to do a replica from site 2 to site 1 too, do I need another Backup server installed on site 2? Could that server use the same backup proxies of the one on site 1?
You can do cross-replication within the single Veeam B&R instance using the same proxy servers.
Bubo
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: David Ferrari

Post by Bubo »

Oh great. So I need just one Backup Server?

Thanks a lot
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Yes, single backup server and license covering both hosts (in case of cross-replication between them).