Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
JohnPA
Novice
Liked: never

VEEAM 6.1 and SqlServerWriter error on backup

Post by JohnPA »

I'm getting this error for one VM on both B&R and Replication jobs. Fortunately I've had the backup job Ignore Errors so at least I have crash consistency ;-)
Failed to prepare guest for hot backup. Details: VSSControl: -2147020506 Backup job failed. Discovery phase failed. Cannot enumerate volumes that should be added to the snapshot set. Cannot enumerate volumes that contain components specified by the processed writer. Writer name: [SqlServerWriter], class ID: [{a65faa63-5ea8-4ebc-9dbd-a0c4db26912a}]. instance ID: [{102a9466-ea81-4754-81ca-9b298c5f7c5f}]. Cannot obtain a volume mount point for the volume that contains the specified file.
When I searched for this error, the recommendation was to run PSCONFIG.EXE with some parameters but this is a Windows 2003 server and does not have this executable on it.

There are no errors logged in the Application Event logs for this error, so I have no deeper knowledge of the problem.

Running 'vssadmin list writers' show all of the writers are running and there are no errors.

Can anyone help diagnose and fix this?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: VEEAM 6.1 and SqlServerWriter error on backup

Post by foggy »

Have you already contacted technical support with this issue? The most effective way to diagnose issues like that is definitely by reviewing job debug logs.
JohnPA
Novice
Liked: never

Re: VEEAM 6.1 and SqlServerWriter error on backup

Post by JohnPA »

That's what I'll do.