Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jingxi02
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Leslie Lei

Backup method

Post by jingxi02 »

Can Veeam add the Backup method auto fail back the Network when using VCB to the new 4.0 version? Here is the issue in my production. I have 3 VMware servers and one iSCSI SAN. For the critial VMs that needs Vmotion/HA and requires large amount of disk space, I put them in the iSCSI shared storage. For the none critical VMs and requires very small amount of disk space, I put them in the local storage in the VMware server. Here is the problem. When I set the back job to backup the VMs by VCB and selecting the Vcenter object, the job will fail on all VMs that is on the local storage because the VCB can't find the VMDK files in the VCB proxy. I can work around this problem by create a seperate backup job by using network backup and selecting the individual VMs that is on the local storage. However, by doing this way, everytime when a new VMs is added, I have to adjust this network back job again to adding the new VMs to the list. That is tough to manage. Can Veeam just add this simple feature to the new version and let us to choose the failover backup method in on job? I think the VRange Pro has this feature for a long time. Why Veeam can't make this feature?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Backup method

Post by Gostev »

Leslie, yes we have this feature in Veeam Backup 4.0, in the vStorage API mode. Have you had a chance to review the stickied thread about Veeam Backup 4.0? This feature is listed in the What's New document.

By the way, since you referenced vRanger, I have to correct you here that their latest version does not support VCB at all. They have dropped VCB support in the 4.0 release, only promising to add it back in some future release...
jingxi02
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Leslie Lei

Re: Backup method

Post by jingxi02 »

That is cool. I'm glad to chose Veeam at the begining. Looking forward to see the latest Veeam backup. Thanks.