Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Xaneth
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Jason Knight

FLR issues

Post by Xaneth »

I was restoring files using the File Level Restore (other O/S), because of file permission issues with my Windows 2008 server. I kept getting permission denied issues and the restore would just stop rather than continuing. This worked out well, since it did restore the files, however, I ran across many files that could not be read for whatever reason. When a file could not be read, I would get the following type of error:

I kept having to babysit the job and click on OK eternally!!! What should have taken a few hours to restore 50GB took an entire weekend!!! A "Yes to All" is in order here. I would like it to log the errors, but continue to restore without user interaction. Is this currently possible? If not, is there something the devs can do to implement such a dialog box??? Very annoying and time consuming.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: FLR issues

Post by veremin »

Could elaborate on your issue a little bit?

I’m wondering whether you receive the abovementioned message regarding files that couldn't be read and still are able to restore them, or you’re just ok with the situation when some of the files can be restored, some cannot and you're willing just to avoid annoying pop-up.

However, right at the moment there is no way to bypass it.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback; much-appreciated.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Additionally, in order to avoid this situation in future it might be worth understanding the underlying problem, as why given files cannot be restored properly, etc.

Furthermore, while restoring big amount of data have ever you thought about using Instant VM recovery. For instance it can be utilized this way:

1. Launch Instant Recovey for the relevant backup with the "Connect VM to network" option disabled
2. Once it has come up, create a new virtual disk in vSphere and attach it to the Instant Recovery-launched VM
3. Transfer the data to that disk and disconnect it
4. At this point, you can power-down the Instant Recovery VM
5. Re-attach that disk to the machine in Production that needs these files and simply copy them across

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Xaneth
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Jason Knight

Post by Xaneth »

Instant Recovery was the first thing I did. I was only able to get the machine into safe mode, and I was going to transfer the files across our DMZ network, but did not think to add a virtual disk and do it that way. The other server I backed up during the same time period would not even come up in safe mode, so I just think that the age of the backups could be causing the problem. Either way, FLR worked great, except that it took an entire weekend to accomplish. "Yes to All" has been a feature since Windows 95 I think (might be mistaken). I would think any third party software would include a "Yes to All" feature. I did not care about recovering corrupted files, I just wanted the job to continue without user interaction, and to save me a weekend of babysitting.