Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
hzhang@nowcom.com
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Howard Zhang

Exchange server in virtual lab

Post by hzhang@nowcom.com »

Hi, I failed surebackup job in virtual lab for exchange server. First I have to remove script test for mail server to make the surebackup job success. Then when I tried to use Exchange AIR Wizard, I got "Unable to access mailbox: The request failed with HTTP status 404: Not Found" error. I only backup one exchange mailbox server, do I need to backup an cas server and bring it into virtual lab? Because I was asked to input "Backup CAS:" and I provided masquerade IP of the mailbox server. Also for Production CAS, should I use CAS server or Mailbox server?

In the restored exchange vm in virtual lab, sevral services failed to start: MS Exchange RPC Client Access, MS Exchange System Attendent and MS Exchange Service Host. The network is in unidentified network and no internet connection.

Any idea?

Thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Exchange server in virtual lab

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Howard, can you please tell me what version of Exchange server you're running?
hzhang@nowcom.com
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Howard Zhang

Post by hzhang@nowcom.com »

Exchange 2010 SP2, Version 14.2.247.5
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

If you need to recover just Exchange items, then I would strongly recommend to use Veeam Explorer for Exchange. This functionality doesn't require SB jobs at all.

If the main purpose is to verify your backups, then can you please clarify if you've added to the application group other VMs required for Exchange to boot up? DC, DNS?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Hi, Howard. For detailed explanation on how your Surebackup job should be configured it might be wort taking a look at this topic, even though it’s mostly about Exchange 2007.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.