Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
5150cd
Influencer
Liked: never

Using another backup program

Post by 5150cd »

First of all, let me say I love Veeam B&R and this thread has nothing to do with recommending others to steer away from Veeam B&R or to look for alternatives. Everyone that runs a virtualized environment I recommend Veeam B&R to.

My question is how many people backup their data another way in addition to Veeam B&R. Do you put all your faith in Veeam to restore your servers in case of a failure or do you run another program as well, just in case there is an issue with your Veeam backups? I'm considering getting another backup method to install inside the VM's that runs on the OS level just to have in case of a failure and I'm wondering if others do the same. Right now I run two different reverse incremental backup jobs to two different repositories, but putting "all my eggs in one basket" makes me a little nervous.

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Using another backup program

Post by foggy »

Not trying to dissuade you from using other backup tools, but having several jobs to different locations (one of them preferably remote) you are already not putting all eggs in one basket. Add SureBackup to this to verify that those backups are restorable and replication jobs for simple failover in case of disaster (no need to restore anything, just to turn on your replica VMs) and you are pretty well covered.
zoltank
Expert
Liked: 41 times

Re: Using another backup program

Post by zoltank »

We've found Veeam works very well and have some very powerful capabilities, and is superior in virtually every way to an OS level backup. However, what we ended up doing was creating a second Veeam B&R server (which we were fortunate enough to place in a separate building which is local to our network) which creates it's own set of backups. So our main Veeam server creates backups on weekdays which are then copied to tape and sent offsite, and on weekends our secondary Veeam server runs its own set of backups.