Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
jorgene
Enthusiast
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Jorgen Eriksson

Replication or DR Solution Options

Post by jorgene »

Hi Community,

I have some questions regarding customer DR Solutions with Veeam.
I haven't played around much yet with the replication option, but i will soon ;)

Scenario:
A customer buys Veeam B&R license to Schedule and run backup jobs to disk storage on site.
Now the customer want's a DR Solution off site.
The Customer has a 10+Mbps internet Connection.

How do we as an partner set up a Veeam Solution to handle multiple customers to single Veeam Replication node? Is it possible?
What ports need to be opened etc?
What licenses should we use for this, how should we license us best for future customers?

One other option i think of is that we could provide just ISCSI storage for the customer to save it's data on (in a dedicated vpn tunnel), anyone tried that over internet? (this option will of cource not be as good as having an replication server running)

Edit: Forgot to mention, Everything is Hyper-V !!! W2008 and W2012
(mod please move post to correct forum if posted wrong)
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Replication or DR Solution Options

Post by foggy »

jorgene wrote:How do we as an partner set up a Veeam Solution to handle multiple customers to single Veeam Replication node? Is it possible?
Jorgen, could you please clarify, are you talking about replicating from multiple remote locations using a single Veeam B&R server?
jorgene wrote:What ports need to be opened etc?
Please review the corresponding user guide section, all the required ports are covered there.
jorgene wrote:What licenses should we use for this, how should we license us best for future customers?
I recommend contacting your local sales rep for available options, as far as I know, there are some special offers for service providers.
jorgene wrote:One other option i think of is that we could provide just ISCSI storage for the customer to save it's data on (in a dedicated vpn tunnel), anyone tried that over internet? (this option will of cource not be as good as having an replication server running)
Both are acceptable, it's completely up to your customer's backup/replication strategy. Replica is good for quick recovery and provides short RTO and RPO. Backup is better for long-term retention of deduplicated and compressed files. More details here.
jorgene
Enthusiast

Post by jorgene »

jorgene wrote:How do we as an partner set up a Veeam Solution to handle multiple customers to single Veeam Replication node? Is it possible?

Jorgen, could you please clarify, are you talking about replicating from multiple remote locations using a single Veeam B&R server?

Scenario: We want to be able to provide a platform for multiple different customers to replicate their VM's against. Do we need a unique Physical B&R Server for each customer @ our site?
Or can we just fill up a physical server with ram and storage and handle multiple customers and VM's on a single server?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

You can use a single Veeam B&R server to handle replication from multiple locations. And you do not need it to be filled up with RAM as all the data processing job is performed by the agents installed on the Hyper-V hosts. I recommend to review the replication architecture section in the user guide (p.50) for better understanding. Thanks.
jorgene
Enthusiast

Post by jorgene »

Ok, Thx.

Can you also answer the license question? If each Customer buys a Veeam B&R Enterprise license for their corresponding Environment and want to replicate to us.
What licenses should we need @ our site? Do we need to license each customers again? (double licensed)
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

We have a special licensing program for service providers, please contact our sales for more information.
jorgene
Enthusiast

Post by jorgene »

But if i understand correctly in this scenario the node @ our site should be treated like an off-host or backup Proxy and licensed under the customers license?
Since the customer only replicates their VM's to another Hyper-V host ..

I will Contact Sales anyway for clarification about this.