PowerShell script exchange
teknomage
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Mike

PowerShell ISE

Post by teknomage »

I was wondering if anyone knew how I could use the PowerShell ISE software on my Windows 8 PC to create Veeam B&R scripts. I know the Add-PsSnapin VeeamPSSnapIn needs to be run to enable the cmdlets but I don't think the best way to get them on my PC is to install the full Veeam B&R on my laptop.

Does anyone know if I can install just the Veeam PowerShell plugins or manually transfer them from a server onto my laptop?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: PowerShell ISE

Post by Vitaliy S. »

As far as I remember you can just install Veeam B&R PowerShell module, just choose the corresponding feature in the setup wizard.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Vitaliy is absolutely right. During installation process you’ll be asked by the wizard as what VB&R components to deploy on your machine. You should tick just PowerShell snap-in while leaving other unselected.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
teknomage
Service Provider

Post by teknomage » 1 person likes this post

I just tried running through the Veeam B&R 6.5 setup and I had the option to add the PowerShell plugin but I did not have the option to not install the Management Console or the Catalog Service. Would there be any detriment if I installed all those components on my laptop or am I missing something?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I had the option to add the PowerShell plugin but I did not have the option to not install the Management Console or the Catalog Service.
Just checked it and I have to say you’re absolutely right - it looks like Veeam PowerShell, Management Console and Catalog Service can't be installed separately.

However, I’m wondering for what purpose you need to deploy snap-in only.

If you have a machine which is playing the role of VB&R server and you’re willing to execute PowerShell on that machine from your laptop, then there is no need to deploy Veeam PS snap-in, since all can be done by the means of remote PS execution.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
teknomage
Service Provider

Post by teknomage »

Its probably not important. I was just trying to use the PowerShell ISE and the auto complete feature for creating scripts and figured I needed to have the plugin running on my workstation so I could create scripts there. I can see if i can use PowerShell ISE locally to create scripts for a remote deployment of Veeam PowerShell.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

You can absolutely do this. The Powershell ISE has a nice "New Remote Powershell Tab" option that allows you to open a Powershell Window on any remote computer to develop. I use this all the time.
teknomage
Service Provider

Post by teknomage » 1 person likes this post

Ok, cool. I'm a greenhorn when it comes to PowerShell but its time I hang out with the cool kids so its time too learn. Thanks for the information.