Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
yajith
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Yajith Dayarathna

VSS and Indexing coordination with agent inside VM

Post by yajith »

Hi All,

I would like to know more about the agent component that is deployed inside the Windows VMs to assist with VSS and indexing as per the user manual.
“To coordinate proper indexing and VSS activities, Veeam Backup & Replication deploys a small agent inside a VM. The agent is installed only during VSS quiescence and indexing procedure and removed immediately after the processing is finished (depending on the selected option, during the backup job or after it is finished), thus producing low impact on VM performance and stability. In the Guest OS credentials section, specify an account with local administrative privileges for deploying the agent. Please note that the user name must be supplied in the DOMAIN\USERNAME format. The guest OS credentials you provide will be used for all VMs included into the backup job.”
I'm sorry if this has already been asked and answered, i thought of posting since i couldn't find any details.

Thanks,
Yajith
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: VSS and Indexing coordination with agent inside VM

Post by foggy »

Yajith, what specifically do you want to know about this agent? This runtime agent simply calls the VSS writers inside guest OS, asks them to freeze applications activity before taking snapshots, coordinates the process with the backup server, etc.

Some details can be also found in this thread and some other existing topics, and in the sticky FAQ section.

Thanks.
yajith
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Yajith Dayarathna

Post by yajith »

foggy, thanks for the reply and the thread link.

I'm trying to find out as much details on how the agent deployment is done, how it works and how it is cleaned up after the backup ends.
This is to explain the same to a customer who's interested in detail. If there is any technical documentation that goes beyond the above level of detail, it would be a big help.

Thanks again.
Yajith
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Then probably this topic answers some of your questions.