Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
trevora
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

Veeam In place upgrade from 2008 R2 to 2012

Post by trevora »

Hi,

We need to upgrade our Veeam servers from 2008 R2 to 2012 to resolve an issue where we can't do guest file restores from 2012 VM's with dedupe enabled (as detailed here http://forums.veeam.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13830).

Ideally I'd like to do a 2008 R2 to 2012 in-place upgrade of each Veeam server - should this be OK from a Veeam point of view (i.e. should there be anything we should keep an eye out for!) or would we be better off building new 2012 servers and reinstalling Veeam? If a new 2012 build is required then what is the best way to manage and retain our incremental backup history (presumably a Veeam Config backup and restore) ?

Thanks,
T
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam In place upgrade from 2008 R2 to 2012

Post by foggy »

I suppose in-place upgrade should be fine. You can backup Veeam B&R configuration just in case (by selecting Configuration Backup on the Home tab of the Veeam backup console and clicking Backup), this will allow you to re-install VB&R from the scratch and then import configuration in case something goes wrong.
trevora
Enthusiast

Post by trevora »

Thanks Foggy,

We already automate the config backup so we should be fine there then - i'll hopefully have a go at this today and provide feedback on how it goes later on.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Additionally, I’d recommend backing your server up prior to upgrading; just for the purpose of completely safety.

As to in-place upgrade process, there is a detailed video regarding it; might be useful.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
trevora
Enthusiast

Post by trevora » 1 person likes this post

Thanks guys,

I've done the in-place upgrade (before I saw Vladimir's link!) and all has gone fine.

The only issue I had was when I tried another guest file restore from a 2012 VM (which prompted this upgrade) and it failed with a different error this time - "No Disks have been mounted. Either disks of this type aren't supported or some error occured. See log file for details."

I resolved this by changing a registry setting as per this post http://forums.veeam.com/viewtopic.php?f ... nds#p44749.

Since then all backups, restores etc are all exactly as before.

T