Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
DaFresh
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Cedric Lemarchand

Failed to restore attributes

Post by DaFresh »

Hello all,

While restoring files from backup of a Windows guest VM, I get this error on lot of them :

"Failed to import attributes, security information and time for file [path to the file]".

Files/data seems restored, but the job take ages for only 3,3Go of data, even if there are lot of small files ...

Does this can be caused by a Windows permissions layer problem, in the way that the Veeam's running user does not have necessary credentials to set them ?

Running Veeam 6.5.0.128 on 2008R2.

Thanks !

Cédric
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Failed to restore attributes

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Cédric,

During creating a backup you need to specify the guest OS credentials for local admin for each VM you backup. As for Veeam B&R, server that performs a guest OS file restore must run under the local admin.

Could you please confirm that it was done correctly, as if its not - that seems to be the root of this issue.

Cheers!
DaFresh
Enthusiast

Post by DaFresh »

Yes, both Veeam Server and Guest VM are in the same domain, Veeam run with the domain administrator account (maybe not the safest way I know ...).

Do you confirm that this error is caused by Windows credentials issue ?
DaFresh
Enthusiast

Post by DaFresh »

FYI, restoration works well when I use the 'Copy To' option and select a local HDD as destination. I am now sure that it's not a Windows credential problem.

Is there any path/file length limitation with Veeam and the "restore" feature ?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

The VB&R does have a limitation related to length of the path/file name, etc. (please, be aware that this limitation can be easily bypassed). However, it’s not your case - if it were, you would probably see the following error during the restoration process:

"The specified path, file name, or both are too long. The fully qualified name must be less than 260 characters, and the directory name must be less than 248 characters".

As to your issue with Restore to original location, no one so far has reported about similar one, so, it stands to reason to open a ticket with our support team and let them investigate it directly.

Additionally, once the investigation is done, kindly update the topic with found resolution.

Thanks.
DaFresh
Enthusiast

Post by DaFresh »

Thanks for answers, unfortunately I am too much busy right now and cannot spend time to open ticket.

Thanks for all,

Cédric