Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Ratbert
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Shawn South

Automatic Proxy Server selection

Post by Ratbert »

I am trying to figure out my strategy for duplicating my backups to a remote recovery location and I was curious if someone could clue me in to the automatic proxy selection process. I have determined that probably what makes the most sense is for me to run two jobs, one backing up to a local repository and one to a repository at the remote location. It seems like for backups to the remote location the best bet for managing bandwidth utilization (our choke point) would be to use a local proxy and incremental mode. As I understand it this would produce the least amount of WAN traffic. Periodically we would want to generate full synthetic backups compatible with our retention system but for this wouldn't I want to use a proxy located at the remote location so that no traffic had to traverse the WAN? If the job used the same proxy as the incremental backups (located at the host site) wouldn't that require pulling and pushing the complete full backup data back and forth across the WAN?

If this is the case, I am left wondering if there is a way to configure 1 job for the incremental backups (and manually specify the local proxy) and a different job to produce and verify synthetic backups that is manually configured to use a remote proxy. Alternatively if I select "auto select" would the system come to these same conclusions and work everything out properly on its own?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Automatic Proxy Server selection

Post by foggy »

Shawn, if you use an agent-enabled backup repository (i.e. Windows or Linux-type), this will enable synthetic backup activity to be performed locally on the backup target instead of sending data across WAN.
Ratbert
Novice

Post by Ratbert »

Automatically? Or do I need to modify the backup job in any way apart from making sure the specified remote repository is a Windows server and not a CIFS type?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

No, no other special configuration is required.
Ratbert
Novice

Post by Ratbert »

Thanks for your help.