Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
DocMagic
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Peter Mang

Best practices for beginning

Post by DocMagic »

Hi there,

i 'm really totally new to VM/ESX, and also brandnew to Veeam B&R so don't judge me for silly questions...:).

my config:

2 ESX Hosts -> (H1: 1x SBS2003; 1x Server 2008; + replicas of H2 / H2: Server 2008 with SQL 2008 + replicas of H1, 1 x XP with Veeam B&R)
(Veeam is living on H2)

I also have a NAS with an NFS store that can be accessed from everey host

Now i want to have inkremental backups every day to the NAS -> 31 days and every month an additional backup on the last day of month.

How would you go on to do this?

I also want that some useres are able to access to the backup archives to have the ability to restore backed up data (with different stored versions). Is there anything like management console or webinterface to allow some users to connect to the backup (but not to use b&r directly via Rdp) ?

Thanks in advance

Peter

Ah - btw - is there a german forum as well?? would be easier for me....
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Best practices for beginning

Post by foggy »

DocMagic wrote:Now i want to have inkremental backups every day to the NAS -> 31 days and every month an additional backup on the last day of month.
Are you talking about offloading a full on each month's last day probably? You can either do that manually (or via scheduled script) of create an additional job to do just monthly backups.
DocMagic wrote:I also want that some useres are able to access to the backup archives to have the ability to restore backed up data (with different stored versions). Is there anything like management console or webinterface to allow some users to connect to the backup (but not to use b&r directly via Rdp) ?
There is Enterprise Manager web-based component available with your download as a separate install that is specifically designed to perform such tasks. I suggest reviewing its user guide for additional details.
DocMagic wrote:Ah - btw - is there a german forum as well?? would be easier for me....
There is no German forum, however, our support is able to assist you in German.
DocMagic
Novice

Post by DocMagic »

Thanks for your fast answer!
i installed from the veeam_b&r_setup_x86.exe.
Now when i try to install over from the veeam_b&r_enterprisemanager_setup_x86.exe - this one wants to remove my current installation, also asks me for installieng a e new database etc.... But i have defined some jobs - what will habppen with them??

Thanks

Peter
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Enterprise Manager has its own database, which is typically created within the same SQL instance as Veeam backup server itself. Do you probably have Enterprise Manager installed already? I recommend contacting support so they could assist you in installation of the proper version of EM.
DocMagic
Novice

Post by DocMagic »

Ok foggy,

thanks - i'll do that.

Have a nice day

Peter