Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
collinp
Expert
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Collin P

Storage Rescan message with Offhost Proxy Backups

Post by collinp »

I am getting the following error when backing up quite few vm's using an offhost proxy and using hardware vss providers. Veeam case#00196840

"Unable to perform offhost backup for HypervHostXXX because storage rescan did not complete for this host yet"

It seems to happen to all 4 hosts in the cluster at different times. It happens regardless if I manually rescan under "Manage Volumes" for each host or not. I noticed it happens more often when 2 Veeam jobs are running at once. My question is, can 2 VM's in 2 different jobs use the same Offhost Proxy at the same time?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Storage Rescan message with Offhost Proxy Backups

Post by foggy »

Collin, yes, you can backup two VMs in different jobs at the same time using the same offhost proxy, no issues with that.

Please continue investigating the rescan problem with our technical support guys. I'm pretty sure they will be able to reveal the reason from the debug logs.
buddyfarr
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Buddy Farr

Post by buddyfarr »

I am getting the same error:

"Unable to perform offhost backup for HOSTNAME because storage rescan did not complete for this host yet"

any updates to this?

thanks,

Buddy Farr
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

This topic is from v6 times. What version and patch level are you using?
Have you reviewed the rescan session log for errors?
marieelieg
Expert
Liked: 8 times

Post by marieelieg »

Hello dears,

I have the same issue (Unable to perform off-host backup for <hyper-v host name> because storage rescan did not complete for this host yet).
Kindly note that this VM was moved to another volume that is mapped to the same Hyper-V host.

We have Veeam v9.5 installed. The job is a replication job.
We tried doing a Rescan of the Hyper-V Host (Right click the host > Rescan), same warning in the replication job.
We tried re-adding the Hyper-V Host (Right click the host > Properties > Next (following the wizard) > ... > Finish), same warning in the replication job.
We tried removing the VM from the replication job > saving the job > then re-adding the VM to the job again > saving the job, same warning in the replication job.
We then tried to create a new replication job containing this VM, same warning in the replication job.

The job is giving the above warning however, it is re-assigning backup infrastructure resources and continuing with replication. So the replication is succeeding but still generates this warning. Also when it is re-assigning backup infrastructure resources, it is assigning the same Hyper-V Host as backup proxy (as detailed in the image found using this link: https://we.tl/m5kfmFwMec).

Any ideas?
Thank you in advance :D
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

It is expected that the job uses on-host proxy (which is running on Hyper-V host itself) when it is unable to use the off-host one. Anyway, please contact support for a closer look at the described behavior.
marieelieg
Expert
Liked: 8 times

Post by marieelieg »

Yes exactly, but I don't know why it sees this host as an off-host proxy, tries to do replication through it and fails, and then fails over to the onhost proxy (which is this same host) and succeeding the replication.

We did apply update 2 to our existing Veeam 9.5, after that this behavior started to occur for 1 VM (for its backup job and replication job).

Anyway I am opening a case now.

Will keep you guys posted with the results.

Thanks!