Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V in a single System Center Operations Manager Console
sepj12927
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Per J

Remove storage

Post by sepj12927 »

Hi,

Yesterday I removed som LUN:s that had been used for RDM:s and datastores.

The procedure I used was to first detach the LUN from all nodes in the cluster and the remove it in the storage system.

However, today some 18 hours later I still have active monitor alerts for those luns.

I've done a resend topology but they are still there.

How do I solve this?

/Per
rasmushc
Lurker
Full Name: Rasmus Hougaard CHristiansen

Re: Remove storage

Post by rasmushc »

Did you made a Rescan of storage on the ESX host where you removed the disks?
Otherwhise I think you should do that.
sergey.g
Veteran
Liked: 76 times
Full Name: Sergey Goncharenko

Post by sergey.g »

Hello,

I would agree with Rasmus, vCenter will not remove a storage path unless you did a rescan of storage. Try to do a rescan - this should remove those disconnected luns from our topology.

Thanks.
sepj12927
Enthusiast

Post by sepj12927 »

I abviously did multiple rescans but the alerts stayed active.
sergey.g
Veteran

Post by sergey.g »

Hello,

So, am I right that you do not see those LUNs in VI client anymore, but they are still present in SCOM?

Is it possible that you had multiple storage paths for those RDMs and Datastores? You've deleted one storage path, but the other one can be still active, or it could be active on another host and you might see alerts from storage paths with same names but from other hosts.

Thanks.
sepj12927
Enthusiast

Post by sepj12927 »

I've removed all paths and deleted the LUN in the storage system. It took abount 3 days for the alert to resolve.
sergey.g
Veteran

Post by sergey.g »

Hi,

I'm glad to know that eventually those paths went away in SCOM. Although it's bad that it took 3 days, maximum delay for such things should be 24 hours. However VMware sometimes could keep information about storage paths for a while, did you perform storage rescans immediately after removing storage paths? If you did rescans later, then it could take another 24 hours after the rescan which removed the last path to the storage device.

Thanks.
sepj12927
Enthusiast

Post by sepj12927 »

Did rescans directly after I romved the last path.
sergey.g
Veteran

Post by sergey.g »

Hi,

Sorry for a delay in our response. Do you recall which monitors were not resolved for 3 days? Was it HBA-targeted monitor or some host related rules/monitor for storage issues?

I have a thought that although you've removed several LUNs, some other storage paths may be in a critical state and because of that monitor were still present and in red, same thing could be true for host-related monitors.

Also could you remind me which version of SCOM, our product and vCenter do you have?

Thanks.
sepj12927
Enthusiast

Post by sepj12927 »

Hi,

I logged a call with Support, and apparently there is a bug in the version (5.7.1022) we're running that can cause this behaviour when the storage is pulit pathed.

/Per