Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
claudiofolu
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: claudiofolu

VMware Ready

Post by claudiofolu »

Hi all,
Can anybody tell me why isn´t the Backup&Replication suite not Vmware Ready?
The only certified products seems to be Veeam One, Reporter, Monitor, nworks and Business View..
You can check this at Vmware site Partner Catalog

Thanks
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Re: VMware Ready

Post by Gostev »

Hi,

I am treating VMware Ready as one of many feature requests, so it all comes down to priorities and value, as usual. When VMware Ready was first announced, we were too busy building our ground-braking vPower feature. Today, the value is still questionable, and so other cool new features (e.g. Explorer for Exchange and other upcoming goodness) hold certification at the end of the queue.

I think our customers will benefit more if we spend our time adding features that bring real, material value to the product. As quick forum search shows, this feature is not a highly requested one, while for some other pending features have a few page long topics full of "plus ones". Shouldn't we rather focus our efforts on those?

I believe that this certification’s value is mostly marketing. What real value to do you see in our product having this "badge"?

Thanks!
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

We can then "officially" blame on you if it does not work :P

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
J1mbo
Veteran
Liked: 29 times
Full Name: James Pearce

Post by J1mbo »

Gostev wrote:I believe that this certification’s value is mostly marketing. What real value to do you see in our product having this "badge"?Thanks!
Backupexec has it, then again their remaining customer must be paying for something...
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Remaining customer :D

By the way, I just recalled a nasty story around VMware Ready certification that really ruined its credibility in my eyes. Basically, one of our former major competitors (no name calling) received VMware Ready for vSphere 5 when their product did not actually support VMFS5, which of course is the core vSphere 5 feature. A bunch of their users have upgraded to vSphere 5 based upon this certification announcement, only to find out their backups stopped working for VMs on VMFS5 volumes. We had many rush conversions to B&R at the time, because our product already supported VMFS5...
claudiofolu
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: claudiofolu

Post by claudiofolu »

I absoluty agree with you Gostev, but like J1imbo said, Backupexec has it, and they use it as a "PROS" to customer when they are evaluatin a backup solution.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

That is fine, because we will give those customers real, material "PROS" instead of this medal. We just need to make sure customers *actually evaluate* both products :wink:

Again, it's all about priorities and value to the product.

And I'd like to make it clear that we don't do something just because our competitors have it. And we don't play those "match the check box" games with the competition. We are above this - we are leading VM backup innovation, setting new standards, and have the "bad guys" catch up and mark the check boxes instead.
ssage
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: sage

Post by ssage »

VMware Ready is a test and validation program. It is not to be confused with the VMware Partner Marketplace - which is a marketing program http://solutionexchange.vmware.com. VMware Ready products are tested to ensure that they work as expected in combination with VMware products. If a customer has an issue with their VMware Ready Product, they can open a support case with VMware. If the issue is related to the VMware Ready product, open a support case with that vendor. If necessary, VMware and the vendor can collaborate to ensure that issues are resolved in a timely fashion.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

All, we have received enough requests in the past half year to justify investing some of our time in obtaining this certification.
I am glad to announce that we are now certified > Veeam Backup & Replication v6.5 Achieves VMware Ready Software Status
mongie
Expert
Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Alex Macaronis

Post by mongie » 2 people like this post

lol...

Backup Exec still doesn't support vSphere 5.1 or Win2012.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL
Starman
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Todd Leavitt

Post by Starman » 2 people like this post

I've been using Veeam non-stop for 3 years now with absolutely no problems and its saved my arss many times, *I* deem it "VMware Ready".
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 » 1 person likes this post

I'm using Veeam Backup since 3.0 and I know it's always been "VMware ready", sadly my certification doesn't mean anything to other customers :)

Nice move Anton!

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1