Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ChrisL
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Chris Leader

Exchange Explorer context menu item

Post by ChrisL »

Hi all,

Might be missing something here, but I don't seem to have a context menu item for the Exchange Explorer when right-clicking a backup in B+R 6.5. I've seen this menu item in the lovely little 'how-to' video showing how it works, but I don't seem to have this menu item.

We upgraded to 6.5 from 6.1 a while agoand all has been working great. This is simply the first time that I have needed to make use of the Exchange Explorer to restore an individual mailbox from backup.

So, I then open the same VM backup, use the Backup Broswer to find the EDB file and double-click it. This launches the Exchange Explorer and seems to load in the database, but as it reaches 100% i get a message about the database being corrupted:

Failed to open schange store C:\VeeamFLR... etc
JetError -1206, JET-errDatabaseCorrupted, Non database file or corrupted db
JetError -1206, JET-errDatabaseCorrupted, Non database file or corrupted db

Just wondering if there's a quick solution that I'm missing or whether I need to raise it with technical..
chrisdearden
Veteran
Liked: 226 times
Full Name: Chris Dearden

Re: Exchange Explorer context menu item

Post by chrisdearden »

Are you using application aware processing on the Exchange VM ?
ChrisL
Enthusiast

Post by ChrisL »

Okay, little update - I've tried the same process but with a diffrent EDB file (this is a school, so we have different databases in Exchange for Staff and Students) and this one opens correctly in Exchange Explorer and I am able to browse the database and inboxs etc.

Does this mean that the first EDB file really is corrupted and I am unable to open it, and more importantly, does this mean that I actually have no valid backup of this database at all?? Is there anything that I might be able to do to change this?
ChrisL
Enthusiast

Post by ChrisL »

Hi Chris, no I am not currently using Application Aware processing on this VM, is this necessary to restore? I have just changed this for the job though so that it does use Application Aware from now on.
ChrisL
Enthusiast

Post by ChrisL »

Actually, I assume that the actual backup is working OK since I am able to open the other database OK, from the same backup file made at the same time..
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Please be aware that application aware image processing should be enabled while backing up or replicating VM running VSS-aware applications (such as Active Directory, Microsoft SQL, Microsoft Exchange, SharePoint), as this functionality guarantees backup transactional consistency of such VMs.

The only thing that can be achieved by backing up VM running VSS-aware applications with this feature being disabled is crash consistent backup, which means that data in the backup is in “crash-consistent” state, as it would be after a system failure or power outage. It, as you can imagine, might led to unfortunate results of further recovery process.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

...and the context menu item is only available when Exchange VMs are processed with application-aware image processing enabled.
ChrisL
Enthusiast

Post by ChrisL »

Thanks for the advice, I've turned on App Aware on the Exchange job and, since the job has run again, I now have the item in the context menu, hooray! I've not yet turned it for the other jobs with DCs and SQL servers however, I assume your advice would be to have this enabled on these jobs?

Other issue still remains though - trying to open the Exchange Mailbox database is showing an error -1206 database corrupted while another database from the same server, same backup job opens correctly in the Exchange Explorer.

I have a case open with Support on this though (Case no 00172438) unless anyone has any other thoughts..!
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

I assume your advice would be to have this enabled on these jobs?
Yep, it definitely stands to reason. As I've mentioned previously, having this option being disabled during backing up or replicating VMs that run VSS-aware applications may have deplorable consequences for further recovery process.

For instance, recovery of Active Directory domain controller from non-VSS (AAIMP disabled) snapshot will be nothing but a headache task, unless you have specific knowledge and/or experience of thoughtful AD administration and manual recovery.

Furthermore, some problems also might be related to Exchange server recovery (long boot up, etc.). And it seems to be particularly your issue – crash-consistent backup of Exchange server has resulted in series of Jet errors you got. As far as I’m concerned, this type of errors is likely to occur, if your database is corrupted heavily, and, in most cases, Jet errors are not repairable.

Anyway, I don’t want to give you creeps prematurely; let this issue be addressed directly by support team.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
mbornestav
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Marcus Bornestav

Post by mbornestav »

I have the exact same problem. I can successfully mount two of my databases, and two come up as corrupted. I have even created a brand new database and tried to move a few users from one of the corrupted databases to it.

It worked fine, then I decided to move the rest of the users to the new database. Now this new one is unmountable... And since two of the databases work, this can't be an VSS issue, right?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Marcus, you really do not want to disable "application-aware image processing" (aka VSS) for Exchange VMs. Try different restore points with VEX, if you still have problems with mounting databases, please contact our support team for further investigation. Thanks!
mbornestav
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Marcus Bornestav

Post by mbornestav »

I still get the Jet-error, and it's always the same two databases. "Old style" restore, by firing up the virtual lab - works.
I have VSS enabled on the backup job.

I guess I'll call the support team! Thanks!
desmond shio
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Shio Soon Chyuan

[MERGED] Veeam Exchange Explorer 6.5 is missing

Post by desmond shio »

Hi Guys,

I recently just upgraded one of my customer Veeam from version 5 to version 6.5 with latest patches, everything run smooth.
But today i just realize that veeam exchange explorer is not install or missing after upgrade to version 6.5
Is there a way to install only veeam exchange explorer without reinstall veeam?

Thanks

Any idea?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Actually, this tool is built into Veeam Backup and Replication 6.5 and can be found by going to:

All Programs > Veeam > Veeam Exchange Explorer

Additionally, don’t miss the opportunity to take part in beta testing of new VEX, which supports MS Exchange 2013.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.