Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
barchas
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Cloud from NFS?

Post by barchas »

I am evaluating Veeam Cloud to handle both our local archive and offsite DR. Currently have 16 B&R licenses which backup to NFS.

However, using Veeam Cloud, I cannot seem to find a way to actually use that NFS drive as the source.

Is the option really what it seems to be, which is that I must mount the NFS as a drive within the windows instance that runs Veeam Cloud? Being that I can backup and restore from the NFS storage, it seems a bit weird that I cannot "cloud" from it?! So im a bit confused. My guess is that I do need to mount the NFS store to a drive letter, installing NFStools in windows to do so.

or am i missing a button/menu somewhere?

thanks!
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: Cloud from NFS?

Post by dellock6 »

Is that NFS storage a NAS or a linux box? In case of a NAS, you could probably enable also SMB sharing and ships there the backups using Cloud Edition. AFAIK Veeam Backup Cloud Edition does not supports NFS.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
barchas
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Post by barchas »

its a linux box, but smb is so freakin slow i really would prefer NFS. Normally i would mount the NFS drive in windows, but veeam apparently already has an NFS client installed (or at least using the ports) so i cannot install NFS client tools.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler » 1 person likes this post

The problem is that the Veeam vPower NFS service uses the same ports as the Windows NFS tools, however, there are several options.

1. As has already been mentioned, you could use CIFS. Yes it might be slower, but I suspect it will still be much faster than your upload link, unless you have a very fast upload path. Not to mention, if your performance is really that different, something else must be going on, SMB isn't a great protocol, but it's typically only 10-20% slower in my experience.

2. Disable the Veeam vPower NFS service and using the Windows NFS Client tools. This will mean you can't use the vPower services such Instant Restore and SureBackup, but you can always run the vPower services on another Windows box in the environment. Simply add it as a managed server and then you can pick this alternate server as the vPower NFS server for the repository.

3. Install Cloud Edition on a different Windows box. Cloud Edition can be installed on any Windows system, it doesn't technically have to be installed on the Veeam server, although you do lose a few minor points of integration.

Honestly, option 2 is probably the best since it gives you all of the advantages with no downside except the requirement to use another Windows server (assuming you have another one around already this isn't much of a negative). You may have to perform the NFS mount as a system service since Cloud Edition is running as a service and won't be able to see user level mounts.