Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
erikbrown28
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Erik

Changed App Aware Account Password - Backups Failing

Post by erikbrown28 »

Installed Veeam originally using domain\administrator account. Have now changed the administrator account password and backup jobs are failing. Message is Failed to login to Vcenter server SOAP port 443.

I rebooted Veeam and noticed all the Veeam services were running as the domain\administrator account. So i changed the password in the services and started them with success.

All Backups fail with error "Failed to login to vCenter Server by SOAP, port 443, user " Domain\administrator", proxy srv; port 0. Cannot complete login due to an incorrect user name or password.

Seems like Vcenter may be wanting the old password in order for the login to process. Maybe i need to restart vcenter.

I'm sure someone has seen this. Probably something obvious i'm missing.

Thanks
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6702 times

Re: Changed App Aware Account Password - Backups Failing

Post by Gostev »

Did you change the account on vCenter Server added to Veeam (under Managed Servers).
erikbrown28
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Erik

Post by erikbrown28 »

I've been running backups for over a year with no problems. Wasnt sure how many places the administrator account was being used but had an employee leave and needed to change the password. As it turns out, the Veeam Backup services were all using the domain\administrator account and all backups failed after changing the account password. I originally thought it was only application aware backups that were failing but its all backups. Even Veeam Backup services were using the domain\administrator account. I set the new password on the veeam services and rebooted Veeam. All services started fine with new password but backups were still failing with the SOAP 443 error.

Gostev - THANKS!

To Fix : Go into Veeam Backup and Recovery Console, Click on SERVERS, Right Click on your vCenter Server and click Properties, Change the account password here.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

You can also use this trick to change the expired password for any account: Backup failure - incorrect login credentials