Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
howthorn
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: ilkay aygun

Move Database

Post by howthorn »

Hi,
we have installed Veeam Monitor on a local SQL Express database. However we are facing performance issues. Is it possible to move the database to an external SQL afterwards? if positive, I appreciate if you send me guidelines for this..

thanks,
İlkay
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Move Database

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Ilkay,

Yes, that's possible. You should follow the instructions below:

1. Deploy SQL Management Studio on the existing Veeam Monitor Server

2. Move Veeam Monitor database using these instructions: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314546

2. Then change database settings in Options -> Server Settings -> Database -> Change Database

3. That's it! You're ready to go with a new Veeam Monitor server.

Thanks!
howthorn
Enthusiast

Post by howthorn »

after attaching the database and going back to the Veeam Monitor Server Setttings --> Database and Change Database, I am getting an error like below in the results window;

Begin configuration process
Connecting to SQL Server XXXX
Connected
Checking database "Veeam Monitor"
An error has occurred "Specified database exists but it is not a Veeam Monitor database"

any comments?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ilkay,

Could you please tell me if you have the same error message while installing Veeam Monitor and pointing to this remote database?
howthorn
Enthusiast

Post by howthorn »

i cannot initiate another installation on the same box because it says "this version of veeam monitor is already installed".
howthorn
Enthusiast

Post by howthorn »

after giving db_owner permission, database has been successfully registered and attached. the user guide says db_write and db_read permissions are sufficient. what are the minimum permissions on the db_side? our sql guys are not happy with the db_owner permission...
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ilkay, let me double check that with our dev team and as soon as I have any info, I will update the thread, though I'm not sure I understand you clearly with permissions from db side? Could you please elaborate?
howthorn
Enthusiast

Post by howthorn »

Hi Vitaliy,
we connected veeam monitor to an external database using SQL Server Authentication. the user has db_datawriter, db_datareader and db_owner rights on the database. unless we add db_owner right to the database, veeam can connect to the database.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ilkay,

Could you please send setuphelper.log to our support team for review, as we couldn't reproduce the behaviour you're experiencing. As soon as you do that, please send me your ticket number via PM.

Thanks!
Imashe
Lurker
Full Name: Kathy Cowens

Post by Imashe »

Wondering if this issue was ever resolved? I am experiencing the very same thing - moving the Veeam Monitor v5 database from one remote SQL server 2005 to a different remote SQL server 2008. Once moved, the monitor won't connect to the new db location with the error: "Specified database exists but it is not a Veeam Monitor database". Would like to know how to proceed!

Thanks in advance.....
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Kathy,

Thanks for using search and posting in the existing thread. Unfortunately, I do not find the ticket number from Ilkay to update the topic. Can you please contact our support team directly with this?

On a side note, I see that you're using Veeam Monitor v5, but have you considered upgrading to our most recent version - Veeam ONE v6.5?

Thanks!
Imashe
Lurker
Full Name: Kathy Cowens

Post by Imashe »

Hi,
I have considered Veeam One 6.5 and even downloaded it. I was hoping to get to purchase something before doing another install....rather than uninstalling the free version, installing another free version and then just having to uninstall it! I will contact support. Incidentally, I did stop the services and installed Veeam Monitor to another machine but got the same response from the new database server location.

Thanks!