Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
itsquared
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: itsquared

Critique my setup (just installed veeam) cloud edition w esx

Post by itsquared »

Our Current Setup (we installed VEEAM under a week ago)

Hypervisor: (2) VMWare ESXi 5.1 hosts, VMWare Essentials Plus

Shared Storage: (2) Cybernetics MiSan D in High Availability with 24 TB

Backup Solution: Veeam 6.5 B+R Cloud Edition(whatever the full blown package is), running as a Virtual Machine, all VEEAM functions are installed on this VM

Offsite Backup: Amazon (using Cloud Edition VEEAM)

Backup Repository: QNAP NAS TS-869U with (8) 4TB drives in RAID 5

Servers: We have 12 VMs, all pretty basic application servers. One MS Exchange 2010 server, Two SQL servers. Our largest server is our file server with about 5TB of data on it.

Backup Jobs: Each server has it's own backup job in veeam, they are set as Incremental with Synthetic Fulls on Saturdays.
Each job is set to be application aware and do indexing

My questions

1) I want to be able to restore a full VM at anytime, do I have the proper backup type set for this
2) I want to ensure I dont have to upload a full backup to Amazon each week.. I want to reduce this due to the size of my file server
3) Is my backup jobs configured ideally to work with the Amazon cloud
4) Will my backup jobs fill up my NAS too quickly
5) Do I have application aware and indexing on servers that dont really need it?

Much appreciated and thank you in advance!
itsquared
Novice

Re: Critique my setup (just installed veeam) cloud edition w

Post by itsquared »

Also.. is it best practice to have a seperate backup job for each server or seperate by function?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I want to be able to restore a full VM at anytime, do I have the proper backup type set for this
It doesn’t actually matter what backup mode is being used, either reversed or forward incremental one, allows you to restore full VM at any time.
Is my backup jobs configured ideally to work with the Amazon cloud
Yep, incremental mode is recommended in case of taking backup offsite, be it tape, or Cloud storage.
Do I have application aware and indexing on servers that dont really need it?
Application-aware is required for only Virtual Machines running special Windows applications, like Exchange, SharePoint, SQL, etc. For the generic VMs there is no need to select such an option.
is it best practice to have a seperate backup job for each server or seperate by function?
It depends on. Having several VMs placed in one job will guarantee better deduplication stats, while, separate jobs will guarantee increased speed, since many VMs would be processed simultaneously by different job. However, it’s definitely not a best practice to have a separate job for each VMs in environment, because you’ll be stuck constantly with micromanagement tasks.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
itsquared
Novice

Post by itsquared »

I so so so appreciate your response and am reviewing it now

ANy other feedback appreciated!