Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
averylarry
Veteran
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Ted

"Best" way to remove part of a backup chain

Post by averylarry »

I have a backup chain with 117 restore points.

Going backwards (from newest to oldest):

17 .vib files (forward incremental)

1 .vbk file (full -- pretty sure a transform)

36 .vrb files (reverse incremental)

1 .vbk file (transform left after an active full)

62 .vrb files (reverse incremental)

I switched from reverse incremental to forward incrementals with a weekly transform.

My problem is that the oldest .vib file (the first incremental after the most recent full backup) is 2Tb (the full backup is 2.4Tb). I basically want to delete all of the incrementals and just go back to that full backup. At that point I will abandon the backup chain and start a new one (the server is now only 800Gb in size).

I doubt it -- but is there a "Veeam" way to delete the incrementals? If I just delete them will I still be able to restore from the other 100 restore points?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: "Best" way to remove part of a backup chain

Post by foggy »

Ted, there is no "Veeam" way to remove restore points from the backup chain other than automatic retention. Do you have the ability to perform an active full first? This would allow you to delete all the vib's manually and still be able to restore from previous 100 restore points (since they rely on their respective vbk files).
averylarry
Veteran
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Ted

Post by averylarry »

I've actually started a new backup job (and therefore a new backup chain) on this VM since I removed a 2Tb disk from it. So I think I can just delete the .vib files and be happy.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Yes, the way to go.
ahmsafeer
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Ahamed Safeer

Post by ahmsafeer »

Hi All,

I have created the backup strategy as:

Reversed incremental backup with Active full every last sunday of month.
What is does is, when the active full backup is taken, and retention period is reached, the the previously available VBK file will be automatically deleted.

But the problem i am facing is, the job is not running the active full backup automatically even if we schedule it on the job settings.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

ahmsafeer wrote:But the problem i am facing is, the job is not running the active full backup automatically even if we schedule it on the job settings.
Are you saying that active full is scheduled but is never created? How many VBK files do you have on disk currently?
ahmsafeer
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Ahamed Safeer

Post by ahmsafeer »

I have scheduled active full backup on last sunday of every month. But the action is not being performed. i have just 1 .vbk file in my repository.
It is the 1st full backup file which is present. Other than that it didnt perform any active full backup on which i scheduled
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I’d suggest contacting our support team directly, since the log investigation is required in order to understand why full backup doesn't seem to work for some reason.

Thanks.