Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
KevinK
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Kevin Kissack

Veeam Explorer for SharePoint - Error Upgrading DB

Post by KevinK »

Hi guys,

I've attempted to use "Veeam Explorer for SharePoint" BETA client on our Windows SharePoint Services instance and hit a brick wall.

This particular instance is WSS3 on SQL Desktop Engine (bundled).

I follow the guide and launch the Explorer, then choose the WSS_Content DB.

After which I receive the following prompt; "The selected SharePoint database has to be upgraded to be open in the specified Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 ('(local)\VEEAMSQL2008R2' instance). After database upgrade, older versions of SQL Server will not be able to open this database. Do you want to continue?"

Clicking Yes generates the following error; "CREATE DATABASE or ALTER DATABASE failed because the resulting cumulative database size would exceed your licensed limit of 10240 MB per database."

I presume this is due to the built-in DB that WSS was originally deployed with.

Is there a work around?

Thanks

Kevin
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Veeam Explorer for SharePoint - Error Upgrading DB

Post by veremin »

"The selected SharePoint database has to be upgraded to be open in the specified Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 ('(local)\VEEAMSQL2008R2' instance). After database upgrade, older versions of SQL Server will not be able to open this database. Do you want to continue?"
During SharePoint granular item restore, selected database (.mdf-file) is mounted to local SQL instance used by VB&R replication. If the SharePoint database is older than local SQL version, then, it will be upgraded prior to opening. As the result, you see the corresponding notification.
CREATE DATABASE or ALTER DATABASE failed because the resulting cumulative database size would exceed your licensed limit of 10240 MB per database.
It seems that you’re using SQL Express instance with a 10 GB per database limitation and selected .mdf file exceeds it.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
KevinK
Enthusiast

Post by KevinK »

Official dead-end then? :)
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

By now, as a workaround you can upgrade SQL Express server to Standard version, that doesn’t have abovementioned limitation.

Thanks.
KevinK
Enthusiast

Post by KevinK »

The Database file is actually 360GB - so running an instant recovery from Data Domain isn't ideal.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

The Database file is actually 360GB - so running an instant recovery from Data Domain isn't ideal.
Hmm, I’m puzzled a little bit how this is related to proposed workaround. Can you elaborate on it?

Thanks.
KevinK
Enthusiast

Post by KevinK »

Sorry Eremin, I didn't refresh the page before I replied and I was trying to add a note.

I don't think you can upgrade SQL Desktop Engine with WSS.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

As far as I’m concerned, the process of upgrading SQL 2005 Express (which is deployed/used, by default, of VB&R) should be as following:

1. First a version upgrade to 2008 Express.
2. Then an Edition upgrade to Standard.

Furthermore, this question is covered at MSDN community, so, it might be worth reviewing.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
nefes
Veeam Software
Liked: 162 times
Full Name: Nikita Efes

Post by nefes » 1 person likes this post

Kevin, you can also set up another instance of SQL on the same server, and point Veeam Explorer for SharePoint to it in Options.
No need to upgrade existing one.