Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
JasonJoel
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Jason Bottjen

Can't backup after dirty power down of SAN

Post by JasonJoel »

I think this is more of a VMware issue than a VEEAM issue. but I thought I would ask here, as someone may have seen it before.

We had an unfortunate event where we lost both primary and secondary power to our SAN and VMware servers, causing everything to power down 'dirty'.

Since then, we restored power and all VMs are running just fine. However, when I try back the VMs up, SOME (but not all) of them give an error. The parts in ' ' are just me substituting generic text for the actual locations:

Error: Client error: Failed to open VDDK disk [['lun name'] 'vmdk path'] (is read-only mode - [true]) Failed to open VMDK.

Any thoughts on how one would correct this?
chrisdearden
Veteran
Liked: 226 times
Full Name: Chris Dearden

Re: Can't backup after dirty power down of SAN

Post by chrisdearden »

Are your proxies in San mode ?
JasonJoel
Enthusiast

Post by JasonJoel »

Yes. It is listed as 'Direct SAN access'.

25 VMs are backing up fine, 18 are failing. :(
chrisdearden
Veteran
Liked: 226 times
Full Name: Chris Dearden

Post by chrisdearden »

might be worth rescanning the hba of the proxy servers and also doing a disk scan from the veeam perspective - right click one of your proxy servers on the "backup infrastructure" view under the "Managed Servers node" and one of the options should be Rescan.
JasonJoel
Enthusiast

Post by JasonJoel » 1 person likes this post

Well, it looks like it is all of the VMs on one SAN device that are failing. Seems the SAN is marked as read-only for some reason on the Veeam server.

Definitely not a Veeam problem. :) I'll go troubleshoot my infrastructure some more. Thanks for the pointer in the right direction!

EDIT: It looks like simply disconnecting/reconnecting the LUN connections on the Veeam server was enough to get things back in order. I'm sure a server reboot would have worked too (should have done that.... dumb me...).

Jason