Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jromalino
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: John Romalino

Need Help with Backup Strategy

Post by jromalino »

I currently run Veeam Backup & Replication 6.5 Enterprise and need a backup strategy to keep 1 year of data for 25 VM's. Currently I have 2 backup jobs configured. Job 1 does Reverse Incremental backups every evening Monday through Thursday with 16 restore points. Job 2 runs Full backups every Friday evening with 12 restore points. Given the fact I need to keep 1 year of data, is this the most efficient backup strategy with Veeam or could someone suggest a better one. Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Need Help with Backup Strategy

Post by foggy »

John, if you need weekly fulls for the whole year, you need to set the second job retention to the number of weeks in a year. Having it set to 12 restore points, you are left with three months of weekly fulls only.
jromalino
Influencer

Post by jromalino »

foggy wrote:John, if you need weekly fulls for the whole year, you need to set the second job retention to the number of weeks in a year. Having it set to 12 restore points, you are left with three months of weekly fulls only.

Thanks. 52 restore points is a lot. I just need to be able to do a file level restore back 12 months. What if I just ran the Full backups every Friday once a month keeping 12 restore points and doing Reverse Incremental backups inbetween? Would that work?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Well, if you are talking not about "every Friday" but "Friday once a month", then 12 restore points do make sense of course.
jromalino
Influencer

Post by jromalino »

foggy wrote:Well, if you are talking not about "every Friday" but "Friday once a month", then 12 restore points do make sense of course.
What about the daily Reverse Incremental restore points. They are currently set to 16. Would there be any issues with Veeam if I change the Reverse Incremental restore points to 30?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

No issues with that. Just note that performing full once in 1-3 months is considered to be the best practice for reversed incremental mode.