Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
unimax82
Novice
Liked: never

Backup offsite very slow

Post by unimax82 »

hi, for me it's the first time that i write on this forum.
i've problem with our offsite backup job. I'll explain better:
we have 10 VMs and a vCenter Server Appliance (tot 2,9TB). All the machines are in domain.
Recently I’ve installed a windows 7 VM on which I’ve installed Veeam B&R. This machine has 4 cpu and 4 GB RAM and it's out from domain. I have configured a local repository ( a local nas) and I configure the backup job.
The local job is very fast!
Now my idea is make the backup of all the vms on a offsite repository. The network that link the both sites is a 100Mbps, while the local network is in gigabit.
I have configured a remote proxy ( windows server with 4 cpu and 22 GB ram) and the repository (a freenas machine) where datas are written.
The offsite job results very slow: 1 ,2 MB/s, is there anything that I wrong? is there anything that i can do?

an other question, is it possibile to crypt the data the i transfer?

thanks

Max
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Backup offsite very slow

Post by veremin »

First of all, it might be worth taking a look at what bottleneck statistics for this job show.
I have configured a remote proxy ( windows server with 4 cpu and 22 GB ram) and the repository (a freenas machine) where datas are written.
Secondly, in case offsite backup to a Windows or Linux-based repository, you need to deploy a backup proxy in the production site, closer to the source datastore, not in remote location. Thus, it will be guaranteed that backup data crosses WAN connection in compressed /deduplicated state, which allows you to reduce traffic sent and backup window, as well.

So, please be sure to utilize local proxy for this job and not a proxy deployed in remote location.
Is it possibile to crypt the data the i transfer?
As to encryption, kindly see the existing discussion; might be useful.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
unimax82
Novice

Post by unimax82 »

thanks for your reply.
i have installed 2 proxy server, the first one is near the source and the second one is off site near to the linux repository. with this configuration the network is the bottleneck. i don't have configured any bandwidth limiting, but the backup is very slow.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

unimax82 wrote:i have installed 2 proxy server, the first one is near the source and the second one is off site near to the linux repository.
In case of Linux repositories the secondary proxy server (on the remote site) is not required, but if you've already deployed it you can keep it.
unimax82 wrote:i don't have configured any bandwidth limiting, but the backup is very slow.
Has it become any better after deploying proxy servers? What is your current transfer rate for full backups and increments?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

The offsite job results very slow: 1 ,2 MB/s, is there anything that I wrong? is there anything that i can do?
Additionally, it might be worth manually sending a test file (with a size similar to backup) across the wire and seeing whether you get similar numbers.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
unimax82
Novice

Post by unimax82 »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Has it become any better after deploying proxy servers? What is your current transfer rate for full backups and increments?
no, even after i've deploy the remote proxy server, the speed is still low, a maximum of 2 MB/s
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

unimax82 wrote:no, even after i've deploy the remote proxy server, the speed is still low, a maximum of 2 MB/s
And what about incremental job runs? Do you still see network connection as a bottleneck for your jobs?
unimax82
Novice

Post by unimax82 »

yes, when the job runs the bottleneck is the network.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ok, have you had a chance to follow the recommendation from foggy? Also what about the experiment Vladimir has suggested to run?