simon617
Influencer
Liked: never

How to stop this alert??

Post by simon617 »

Hey guys.

I am getting a VM Generic warning alert:
Fired by event:
Event description: Warning message on DMZ-DNS on dmz-esxi2.massport.com in MOA: Insufficient video RAM. The maximum resolution of the virtual machine will be limited to 1672x1254. To use the configured maximum resolution of 2560x1600, increase the amount of video RAM allocated to this virtual machine by setting svga.vramSize="16384000" in the virtual machine's configuration file.
Initiated by: User

How do I elimate just taht error and not the WHOLE VM Generic warning?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: How to stop this alert??

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Simon, unfortunately, there is no way to do that, as this alarm is triggered by event which is common for multiple alarms coming from VI API. Thanks!
MartinJ
Lurker
Full Name: Martin Jørgensen

Post by MartinJ »

Hi,

Is there still no solution to this issue?

I would like to disable just this particular warning, but stille recieve other "vm generic warning"s
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

VM generic warning/error is retrieved from VMware, so you should either take a look at the events which are triggered at the same time with this error or disable this alarm completely.
parmand
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Paul Armenakis

Post by parmand » 1 person likes this post

I agree, it would be nice to be able to flag even a string of text when it comes to the generic events, so you can change them to information or something. It'd be even better to be able to do this at the VMWare level, but thats out of our hands.

For reference, to "fix" this "issue" (I use quotes because its not really an issue to begin with), power off your vm, go to Edit Settings -> Video card and change the memory size to auto detect. That said, it would raise the amount of memory for video, so your memory usage on your hosts will go up a little (not a big deal unless you have a TON of vms).
JamesC
Novice

Post by JamesC »

We are getting this on every single one of our VMs as well. Can you please provide a solution to filter out this particular VM generic warning without disabling the generic warnings as a whole?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi James,

What are the related events to this warning? Have you tried the workaround suggested by Paul?

Thanks!
JamesC
Novice

Post by JamesC »

Hi Vitaliy,
The events are identical to what the OP stated. Message about insufficient video memory.

I am not able to utilize the workaround since we have a large number of VMs which cannot be powered down to facilitate the setting change.

Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Then, it seems that the only way you have is to disable this alarm. Thanks for the feedback anyway.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
rimvydukas
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

Post by rimvydukas »

Are there any changes regarding this annoyance in the latest version of Veeam One? It would be nice to have an ability to filter out particular VM General events.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

We get the same event from vCenter server for this and other similar situations, so no changes yet. Paul's advice above should make a trick though.