Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
papp
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Csaba Papp

Veeam Explorer for Exchange

Post by papp »

Hi,
I manage an Exchange 2010 enviranment.There are 4 mailbox server running on VMWare VM. Mailbox DBs are quite large, ~1.2 TB. We curently use a third party backup & restore tool.
The issue: The restores take very long. In order to recover a single email / or mailbox folder, the tool has first to build a recovery database, applies logs and it takes 8-10h.
Question: . Could Veeam Explorer for Exchange speed up the process? More exactly, to restore a user's mailbox folder structure or even a single email into the active or archive mailbox in risonable time (up to 1-2h)?
Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam Explorer for Exchange

Post by foggy »

Hello! Veeam Explorer for Exchange performs granular Exchange item-level recovery directly from backup files. There’s no need to restore the entire database, you just choose the required restore point and the tool will present the contents of the mailbox store for browsing, searching and export. So it is actually an instant item-level recovery. Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

papp wrote:to restore a user's mailbox folder structure or even a single email into the active or archive mailbox in reasonable time (up to 1-2h)?
More like 5 minutes with Veeam Explorer for Exchange.
barrnunn
Influencer
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: IT Department

Post by barrnunn » 4 people like this post

Gostev wrote: More like 5 minutes with Veeam Explorer for Exchange.
This is NOT an exaggeration. I backup my smaller Exchange 2010 server (85GB DB file) that is a Hyper-V VM and just last week had to perform a restore of all 12,000+ messages in a user's cabinet folders. I have Veeam B&R installed on a dedicated Win 2008 server with it's own local repository. I was able to open the Exchange backup, select the users mailbox and folder and restore all lost folder items directly to the live mailbox. Opening the backup and browsing the Exchange store took less than 2 minutes and the complete restore was finished within 30 minutes and no additional resources were required.
papp
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Csaba Papp

Post by papp »

Thank you very for your quick answer. I appreciate it.
Does Veem Backup work with disks or we can backup to tapes also?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Native tape support is coming in version 7 which will be available in Q3 this year.