Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
mr2nut123
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Hyper-V Core

Post by mr2nut123 »

Hi all,

We have been using the 'Backup Software that shall not be named' for years, but the hassle of even trying to get a successful backup, nevermind a restore...is getting VERY tedious now and the 2012 version is a complete joke.

We tend to install Hyper-V Core and then virtualize our SBS Servers. With Veeam, are you able to install it within the virtual machine, and have it communicate with a USB backup device or NAS? Or is there a core version available?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Hyper-V Core

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Hi, yes Veeam B&R can be installed in the virtual machine. We suppport shared folders as the destination for backup, as well as USB storage attached to backup repository servers. Not sure what do you mean by core version... Veeam Backup server itself must be installed on full blown Windows server, however other product components (backup proxy, backup repository) do support installation on Core Windows servers. Thanks!
mr2nut123
Enthusiast

Post by mr2nut123 »

Thanks for the prompt reply.

What I mean is, can Veeam communicate from within the virtual machine, directly to a USB device connected to the physical machine? I don't think Hyper-V core supports virtual USB, hence my question. Hope that makes sense..?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Core or not, you are right that Hyper-V does not currently support USB passthrough. However, we are still able to communicate directly to USB device connected to the physical machine that through our "backup repository" component. As I've mention, we do support installing this component on core server.

It will be more clear for you once you setup our product and look at our Backup Repositories. Essentially, they virtualize access to any storage on any server for our backup engine. Just pick your physical server in question, pick the USB drive volume on that server, and make it your backup repository. After that, any backup job will be able to write data there directly. Very simple yet powerful concept.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

By the way, don't feel bad about Hyper-V on this one... while VMware does support USB passthrough, performance generally deserves for the better, so we do not generally recommend using USB passthrough backup targets anyway.
mr2nut123
Enthusiast

Post by mr2nut123 »

Sounds good! Does the demo include this repository so that I can create a quick test environment?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

Trial version of VB&R has full functionality available for 30 days.

For more information regarding adding backup repository kindly see the corresponding topic in the User Guide (p.112).

Hope this helps.
Thanks.