logos
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Logos Technologies

Veeam Backup scenario problems

Post by logos »

Hi all,

Nice to meet you I'm Nicola.

Into my firm we are using Veeam backup to backup some server of an our customer. I have some questions to ask to you and i hope to find the answers i looking for.

Actually this is my scenario:
- I do an Active Full Backup on Sun
- I do an incremental Backup every day until Sat
- The flag "Synthetic Full" is disabled
- As "restore point to keep" i configured 7 days
- As Vm Retention i configured 14 days.

I need to keep 7 days of backups.
In theory i should have a chain of 7 backups (1 full and 6 incremental) every week and every 2 weeks veeam should delete the oldest chain.

Is this configuration correct? alternatively, what configuration i must do?

To do this backups i use a NAS connected to my environment via ISCI; As target, inside job configuration backup, i put "Optimized for LAN targets" Is this the best way? Or i have to use "Local Target"

Hoping to find the answers i thanks to you in advance

Nicola
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Re: Veeam Backup scenario problems

Post by Gostev »

Hi Nicola, your configuration looks good and it will work the way you want it to work. I recommend using "LAN Target". Thanks!
logos
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Logos Technologies

Post by logos »

Hi Gostev,
Thanks for the fast reply. I have another questions for you:

nowdays i can't find the verbose logs of Veeam backup jobs. Is there a place where the logs are put? a path or something else?
I ask to you this because often Veeam doesn't show me why a job is failed. It only shows "Job is finished with errors"

Thanks for the support
chrisdearden
Veteran
Liked: 226 times
Full Name: Chris Dearden

Post by chrisdearden »

All of our logs are in c:\program data\veeam\backup ( you'll need to enable "show hidden files and folders" )
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Post by Gostev »

logos wrote:I ask to you this because often Veeam doesn't show me why a job is failed. It only shows "Job is finished with errors"
Select the specific VM that failed in the column to the left, and you will see the reason why it failed. This information will be sufficient for troubleshooting in 90% of cases, without having to look at debug logs.

The proper way to get to logs is to go to Help > Support Information, this will launch the Log Export wizard that is able to collect all logs for you without having to look around hidden folders ;) however, I also have to warn you that you are unlikely to make any sense of those logs, so it is best to simple open a support case instead.