Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
5150cd
Influencer
Liked: never

Veeam with FreeNAS Repository

Post by 5150cd »

I have no problem backing up to a QNAP 8-bay NAS and a Windows 2008 R2 server, but for some reason I'm having a heck of a time trying to do backups to a FreeNAS setup I have configured. Here is it's configuration:

New Dell PowerEdge R510
8ea- 5400rpm SATA drives in RAID-Z2
1ea- 100GB Write Cache SSD Drive
1ea- 240GB Read Cache SSD Drive

The performance when I test the NAS is great, but a lot of times when I'm doing reverse incrementals I get errors in my Veeam log saying:

Code: Select all

Error: Client error: The specified network name is no longer available. Failed to read data from the file [\\FREENAS\vol0\Backup Name\Backup Name.vbk]. Failed to restore file from local backup. VFS link: [summary.xml]. Target file: [MemFs://Tar2Text]. CHMOD mask: [0].

I've had pings setup when this happens and I never lose a ping. I've done the same setup with NexentaStor and it works fine, but I don't want to use NexentaStor since it isn't free for production use. My jobs are all Reverse Incrementals and the "Storage Optimizations" is set for LAN target.

Has anyone else ran into issues with FreeNAS as a repository? Any suggestions on what I can fix to make this work?

Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Veeam with FreeNAS Repository

Post by veremin »

Any suggestions on what I can fix to make this work?
There is an existing KB article which is primarily concerned with this issue; please take a look. Typically, it means that VB&R have lost connection to a given repository during backup run.
Has anyone else ran into issues with FreeNAS as a repository?
According to my experience, up there have been customers who successfully backing up to FreeNAS using it as CIFS repository; might be worth searching this forum for key word (FreeNAS, etc.).

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
spgsit5upport
Expert
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Seb

Re: Veeam with FreeNAS Repository

Post by spgsit5upport »

At one point in the past I did use Freenas CIFS.
On c**p hardware, so was not that happy. In the end on same hardware installed W2K8R2 Core & it was much more pleasant experience...