Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
vmbackupuser
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

vCloud Director Support

Post by vmbackupuser »

Hi, I've logged the following calls: [ID#5176489] [ID#5175617] and I've been advised that vCloud Director is not currently supported by VeeamBackup, as it was never tested.

Also according to page 52 of the User Guide support would be added in a future VeeamBackup release.

The FAQ on Veeam forums states the opposite:

VMware Infrastructure

Q: Is processing of VMware vCloud Director provisioned virtual machines supported?
A: Yes.

Perhaps this should be amended?

Also can you advise approx. when would VeeamBackup support vCloud Director farms?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: vCloud Director Support

Post by Gostev »

This statement is correct, processing of vCloud Director provisioned VMs is supported since these are normal vSphere VMs, so there is really no reason why they cannot be backed up. What is not supported is backing up vCloud Director itself (adding it into UI like vCenter, backup and restore of vCD specific metadata, any vCD-specific features, and so on). We are planning to add support for vCloud Director in the next major release. Thanks!
vmbackupuser
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

Post by vmbackupuser »

Thanks Gostev, would you be able to update your Tech Support Personnel regarding this? They have closed my case using the blanket statement above. My original problem has not been resolved.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

I've passed the information to the support manager. I think you can re-open the case.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Thanks Foggy.
bmeyer99
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 49 times
Full Name: Brandon Meyer

Post by bmeyer99 »

Gostev wrote:This statement is correct, processing of vCloud Director provisioned VMs is supported since these are normal vSphere VMs, so there is really no reason why they cannot be backed up. What is not supported is backing up vCloud Director itself (adding it into UI like vCenter, backup and restore of vCD specific metadata, any vCD-specific features, and so on). We are planning to add support for vCloud Director in the next major release. Thanks!
I have had 3 customers ask me about vCloud Director support. Do we have a timeframe from the "next major release"?
Brandon Meyer - ProPartner in Chicago, IL
Ex-Veeam employee
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

When it’s ready ™
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

On a side note, I can confirm backups of vCloud Director managed VMs works flawlessly, we are using it since Veeam v5. you only need to keep attention on restores since Veeam registers the restore VM into vSphere but vCloud does not sees this restore.
Two workaround are importing the VM after restore into vCloud, or leaving the VM untouched and restore only the vmdk files.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
KClawson
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Kevin Clawson

Post by KClawson »

So if we had an issue with a VM in vCloud and recovered it, I understand that vCD wouldn't be able to see it on its own. What would be the best way to get it back. If it shows up in vCenter, would we just import it as a vApp or is there another process I am missing? We are implementing VEEAM in a vCloud and I want to make sure we can take cars of our users the best way possible.
dellock6
Veeam Software

Post by dellock6 »

As I said, best way to interact with vCloud is to stop the VM, and restore only the VMDK files. In this way the VM keeps its moref IDs inside both vCenter and vCloud.
Surely, if a user deletes by accident a vApp or a VM, the only way to restore is to recreate the vApp and then import the single VMs into it.
Luca Dell'Oca

@dellock6
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
mbreitba
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times

[MERGED] Vcloud integration

Post by mbreitba »

I know there's no official vCloud integration support in Veeam, but I've got a theoretical question.

If I install the vCloud connector plugin into vCenter, could I possibly target that with Veeam for remote replication? Veeam itself wouldn't actually have to support vCloud, it _should_ all be handled by the vCloud connector, correct?

If not (and I know that this has been asked several times already) when might this functionality be integrated? I know one post (http://forums.veeam.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 831#p47312) stated that it was slated for the next major release - is 6.5 considered a major release, or will 7.0 be the next major release?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

As per my explanation above, vCloud VMs can be backed up or replicated at vSphere level just like normal VMs, no problems there and many customers are doing this today. We just won't carry over any vCloud-specific settings.

Dot releases, such as 6.5 are minor releases. The next major release is going to be 7.0.
wsellers
Service Provider
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: William Sellers

Post by wsellers »

Any update on when 7.0 might be coming out? Possibly with vCloud Director Support, etc...
If so, I would LOVE to get on any alphas/betas that Veeam would be running.... We are a Veeam Partner --- and are currently running vCD 1.5.1 and getting ready for a vCD 5.1 rollout. If you can offer ANY information, please do!

Please email or direct message me...
Thanks,
Will
---
William Sellers
http://twitter.com/
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Sometimes in 2013, no fixed date yet. We are still working on version 6.5 right now - and version 7.0 planning will be done once 6.5 is released.
We only make alpha/beta software available to Veeam Backup & Replication Focus group, where we invite most active members of these forums.
wsellers
Service Provider
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: William Sellers

Post by wsellers »

Gostev.... Thanks.... SOOOO I will become MUCH more active on this forum! :) I REALLLLLY want to work with you guys on Alphas/Betas, etc... ;)
---
William Sellers
http://twitter.com/
electronsonline
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by electronsonline »

Although I have not seen a commitment on a date for Veeam 7 any where on Veeam website (Maybe I have not looked hard enough). It seems the post at: http://www.virtualizationteam.com/veeam ... veeam.html quoted in an interview with one of the Veeam engineer that its planned for Q3 this year & private betas even before that with a lot of extra good info in that post that does not seems to be shared any where else. I would highly recommend that you check that post out for more info and keep visiting: http://go.veeam.com/v7 as Veeam seems to plan to update it with major news about Veeam 7 till its get released.
sirijus

[MERGED] VEEAM B&R v7

Post by sirijus »

Dear all,
Could someone explain me more about integration with VMware vCloud director?
Can I hope that the new version will support self-service functionality to backup and restore data? (create schedules, make backup plans and etc.)
I'm interesting in this functionality in order to offer complete IaaS services for our customers.

Tried to send those questions to support, but I'm not getting any explanations. They just sending me some youtube links with marketing stuff.

Thanks,

Sirijus
dellock6
Veeam Software

Re: VEEAM B&R v7

Post by dellock6 »

I suspect the official informations coming from the youtube video preview, and the marketing informations that has been released, are all the informations available at the moment. Right now there is no information about self-service management of backup schedule, and restore operations.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca

@dellock6
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: VEEAM B&R v7

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, the more detailed information about v7 will be available at the release time.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Sirijus, I've merged your thread into this existing one, probably you'll find a bit more information regarding vCloud Director support by following the link provided above. Thanks.