Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
glaviolette
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Greg LaViolette

How to schedule twice daily in one job?

Post by glaviolette »

I'm trying to make a single job that executes at lets say 11:45AM and then 4:45. I *tried* using every 5 hours with a schedule from 11AM>4:59AM. It works the first day, but next day it's off.

Is it every 5 hours of scheduled time? Does it base it off the time the job completed? Do I have to make two scripts to accomplish this? :(

CaseID:00205680
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: How to schedule twice daily in one job?

Post by dellock6 »

Based on your time schedule, it runs at 11, than at 16, than at 21, and at 2 am.
To have 5 more hours, it waits until 5 am (3 hours passed) and than two more hours into the allowed schedule, so it will start at 13 in the second day, and so on.

To have a correct 5 hours timing, why don't you simply leave a complete 24 hrs backup windows? Last backup of the first day will start at 5 am, and the next one will start correctly at 11 am as wanted.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
glaviolette
Influencer

Post by glaviolette »

glaviolette wrote:with a schedule from 11AM>4:59AM.
glaviolette wrote:I'm trying to make a single job that executes at lets say 11:45AM and then 4:45
I'm an idiot. 11AM>4:59PM for the schedule (with a 45 minute "start time") and I want one job that runs at 11:45AM and then 4:45PM. Currently no Backup Window defined.
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Ah ok, got it.
So, better stay away from backup window and frequency. My suggestion: do not configure any schedule inside Veeam, and run the job at the desired times of the day using windows scheduler to start Veeam Backup job. Look into these forums for sample script to start backup jobs.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
glaviolette
Influencer

Post by glaviolette »

dellock6 wrote:My suggestion: do not configure any schedule inside Veeam, and run the job at the desired times of the day using windows scheduler to start Veeam Backup job. Look into these forums for sample script to start backup jobs.
First off, thanks for the replies. It's appreciated!

Wow. Windows Scheduler? Really? Not exactly a ringing endorsement for Veeam scheduling functionality! :P

Also to mention.. This job that just ran at 11:45AM (PST), is now scheduled to run at 3PM today? Maybe since I've been adjusting every "x" hours the job and wants to start at the next full hour? However, if I put in 300 minutes (5 hours) it schedules the job for 11:45AM tomorrow (??), which is *somewhat* slightly expected (as 5 hours from when I adjusted the job is outside of the current hourly schedule).

Either I or this feature is broken and/or poorly documented.

Thanks again for your assistance!

-g
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Maybe since I've been adjusting every "x" hours the job and wants to start at the next full hour?
Yep, it’s expected. In order to configure minutes, as well, go to Periodically every -> Hours -> Schedule -> Start time for hourly job.
However, if I put in 300 minutes (5 hours) it schedules the job for 11:45AM tomorrow (??), which is *somewhat* slightly expected (as 5 hours from when I adjusted the job is outside of the current hourly schedule).
I’ve just checked it and everything seemed to work as expected.

If you set to run the job every 300 minutes, then next run will be scheduled to happen 5 hours from the current time. If this time falls into the so-called ”denied” hours, the job will be set to run right after the specified “denied” period ends.

So, if you experience different schedule behavior, kindly open a ticket with our support team and let them investigate it directly.

Additionally, below you can find a script responsible for running given job that can be scheduled via Windows Scheduler:

Code: Select all

asnp VeeamPSSnapin
Get-VBRJob -name “Name of your Job” | Start-VBRJob 
Hope this helps.
Thanks.