Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V in a single System Center Operations Manager Console
felyjos
Veteran
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Dominique DUCHEMIN

Veeam MP 6.0 vs nWorks 5.7

Post by felyjos » 1 person likes this post

Hello,

I might be late and repeating questions already seen but I am confuse between the nWorks interface and the Veeam MP. Does the Veeam MP replace the nWorks? Does it need the same architecture with nWorks enterprise and collectors?
Also I downloaded the Veeam MP 6.0 I saw a brief, ne and overview but no installation guide?
I would like to know which part should be installed on the RMS, which part on the nWorks Enterprise, which part on the collectors, etc...?

Thanks,
Dom
sergey.g
Veteran
Liked: 76 times
Full Name: Sergey Goncharenko

Re: Veeam MP 6.0 vs nWorks 5.7

Post by sergey.g » 1 person likes this post

Hello Dominique,

First of all - for most of things you can assume that Veeam MP is just a new name for nworks. There are still same familiar components: Management Service (former Enterprise Manager), Collector (former Collector :)), Web UI and Managment Pack (but in v6 we have several separate MPs instead of a single one). And architecture is pretty much the same. We have one new component though - PowerShell module. Veeam MP should replace nworks in your environment if you just want to upgrade to a newer version, BUT they can work side-by-side if necessary (i.e. old reports can still work using old historic data collected by nworks)

On our website, in the resources section you can find all necessary documentation
http://www.veeam.com/vmware-microsoft-e ... urces.html

The installation guide contains all necessary instructions on upgrading your nworks 5.7 to Veeam MP 6.0
http://www.veeam.com/veeam_mp_for_vmwar ... 6_0_pg.pdf

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks.
felyjos
Veteran
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Dominique DUCHEMIN

Post by felyjos »

sergey.g wrote:Hello Dominique,

First of all - for most of things you can assume that Veeam MP is just a new name for nworks. There are still same familiar components: Management Service (former Enterprise Manager), Collector (former Collector :)), Web UI and Managment Pack (but in v6 we have several separate MPs instead of a single one). And architecture is pretty much the same. We have one new component though - PowerShell module. Veeam MP should replace nworks in your environment if you just want to upgrade to a newer version, BUT they can work side-by-side if necessary (i.e. old reports can still work using old historic data collected by nworks)

On our website, in the resources section you can find all necessary documentation
http://www.veeam.com/vmware-microsoft-e ... urces.html

The installation guide contains all necessary instructions on upgrading your nworks 5.7 to Veeam MP 6.0
http://www.veeam.com/veeam_mp_for_vmwar ... 6_0_pg.pdf

Thanks.
Thanks Sergey,
I would like to upgrade from nWorks to Veeam no need to keep nWorks (except if you say so, what could be the reason to keep nWorks? have you some examples? I don't have old reports need.
Thanks,
Dom
sergey.g
Veteran

Post by sergey.g » 1 person likes this post

Hi,

Well, you may still want to run reports using your historic data. Veeam MP v6 reporting is not compatible with old nworks stats. If you don't need this historic information and you are only interested in most recent data, then you can remove nworks MP.

Thanks.
Alec King
VP, Product Management
Liked: 362 times

Post by Alec King » 1 person likes this post

I would definitely recommend removing the old nworks 5.7 MP, after importing the new Veeam v6 MP.
If the old MP is left in place, then there would be many duplicate object types (ESX Host, Datastore, VMGUEST, etc) that exist in both MPs. Only the v6 objects would be 'live' (i.e. only v6 objects would be discovered and monitored) - however the existence in SCOM of both v5 & v6 sets of objects would make it difficult to manage custom groups, overrides, etc. in the Authoring section of SCOM.

We do have a mapping document available to assist customers with migrating v5 overrides to v6.Draft version attached.
Migrating_Veeam_MP_v5_7_to_v6_0.xlsx
Map nworks v5.7 classes to Veeam v6 classes
(93.9 KiB) Downloaded 532 times
We'll post it in the MP Resource Kit soon.
Please post any questions on migrating v5 overrides in the forum.

Cheers,
Alec
Alec King
Vice President, Product Management
Veeam Software
aperson
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: A Patel

Re: Veeam MP 6.0 vs nWorks 5.7 [ vcenter 5.5 ]

Post by aperson »

We are unable to upgrade to MP 6.0 from 5.7 due to some SQL requirements on 6.0.

We have 5.0 U2 vCenter and vCenter 5.5 U1. The MP has been working fine for any of the 5.0 vCenters, but does not seem to be consistently monitoring our 5.5 vCenter objects. The backend is SQL 2005.

I have installed that patched for vCenter 5.5 from VEEAM, but for some reason 1/2 of the hosts is only being monitored via MP on vCenter 5.5.

Anyone have similar issues and/or know of anything I can try?

Thanks
sergey.g
Veteran

Post by sergey.g »

Hello aperson,

Sounds like one collectors is not updated with the patch - make sure all collectors are patched.

And yes, I'm afraid for v6 we have different SQL server requirement: SQL Server 2008 and later.

Thanks.