Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Els M
Influencer
Liked: never

IBM nSeries

Post by Els M »

Hello,

I was talking to our IBM hardware reseller about using VEEAM for backup VMs on a nSeries (Netapp) NAS storage and the guy said that I needed to consider if the veeam soft was supported on this hardware. I asked him to find out and he reported back that IBM had not done any compatibility tests and that on the Netapp site was nothing to be found about Veeam.

Is Veeam supported on the IBM nSeries ?
Anybody knows ?

Thanks

Els M
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6692 times

Re: IBM nSeries

Post by Gostev »

Els, we support our product on any hardware storage devices at all.
Els M
Influencer
Liked: never

Post by Els M »

Hello Gostev,
thank you for your quick reply.
Was it a strange question to ask ? I was certainly surprised to hear that i should verify if it was compatible or not.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6692 times

Post by Gostev »

Yes, it was a bit strange question (for a regular storage).

Only case where it could matter is when the storage device does heavy processing of incoming data (example: DataDomain with heavy inline deduplication). Such vendors typically test and certify software products for compatibility. For instance, Veeam Backup is listed as officially supported solution on the DataDomain web site.

But these certifications come from hardware vendor side because from our side, we do not really care what is that share we are writing backups to. However, the way software writes data may differ, and in some cases may not work well with specific storage device's data processing logic, which is why all hardware dedupe vendors have these certifications where they measure device CPU impact, deduplication ratios and so on.