Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
bucko77
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Stephen Buckton

B & R Novice Question

Post by bucko77 »

I currently have 1 x ESXi host running on v5.0.0, it hosts 1 Server 2008 R2 VM which is our web server which also has SQL 2008 R2 installed.

I’m going to try the free version of VMware Backup & Replication (6.5 - Patch 3) with a view to eventually upgrading to the standard version.

The VM is made up of 3 separate vhdk disks as follows:

C:\ (OS) - 60Gb Drive (20Gb Used).
D:\ (SQL Data) - 70Gb Drive (45Gb Used).
E:\ (SQL Logs) - 10Gb Drive (1Gb Used).

My questions are as follows:

1. When I run a VeeamZip Backup, would selecting the option to acquiesce the disk have any performance impact on my webserver?
2. What level of compression ratio am I likely to see?
3. Worst case scenario, if an issue arose with the initial backup could it take my VM offline?

Thanks
Stephen.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: B & R Novice Question

Post by veremin »

1. When I run a VeeamZip Backup, would selecting the option to acquiesce the disk have any performance impact on my webserver?
The special Veeam function called Application Aware Image Processing is only present in a paid version.

Application Aware Image Processing is an ad-hoc mechanism, which allows VB&R to create transactionally consistent backup of a VM running VSS-aware applications (such as Active Directory, Microsoft SQL, Microsoft Exchange, Sharepoint) without powering them off. Furthermore, it ensures successful VM recovery, as well as proper recovery of all applications installed on the VM without any data loss and also it notifies applications about them being backed up.

If I were you I’d would just go with a “crash-consistent” scenario. It’s more than enough in case of SQL server, since its databases (in contrast to other VSS aware applications) can be successfully recovered from such backup in 99% of cases.
What level of compression ratio am I likely to see?
The level of compression is editable settings. So, it might be worth playing with and seeing what results you get.
Worst case scenario, if an issue arose with the initial backup could it take my VM offline?
So far, I haven’t heard about the situation when a backup activity (even if processed with errors) shutdowns a VM that is being backed up. Is it what you’re talking about?

Thanks.
bucko77
Novice

Post by bucko77 »

Hi, thanks for the reply and clarification on application aware image processing.
So it's recommended I put a tick in the box next to "Disable guest quiescence" and tune my compression based on my results? Out of interest where are the compression editable settings held?
Stephen.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

bucko77 wrote:Out of interest where are the compression editable settings held?
Click More in the VeeamZIP window and select the required compression level.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

bucko77 wrote:So it's recommended I put a tick in the box next to "Disable guest quiescence" and tune my compression based on my results?
If you're using full version, It's recommended to enable application-aware image processing whenever possible, VMware quiescence will be disabled automatically. In the free version you may still want to keep this checkbox enabled, but this will not guarantee application consistency.

Yes to the second question.
bucko77
Novice

Post by bucko77 »

Thanks, I've just enabled the 30 day trial so will enable the application aware image processing and see how it performs.
Stephen.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Thanks, I've just enabled the 30 day trial so will enable the application aware image processing and see how it performs.
The best strategy, indeed.

Should any additional help be needed, feel free to contact us. Thanks.
bucko77
Novice

Post by bucko77 »

Hi Guys, I ran my first backup over the weekend and all went well, I've got another question if you can assist.

I ran the initial backup as a "Reversed Incremental", I would like to take a full backup on a Friday or Saturday night and incremental's till the next weekend when I do another full, am I best to choose "Incremental"? Or can you recommend a more efficient plan?

http://gyazo.com/18e36ac0af36e08b13a753facb439404

Thanks
Stephen.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Stephen, recommended backup mode depends on your setup and requirements. I suggest reviewing the following comparison for pros and cons of each backup mode and also the corresponding user guide section (p.28) for better understanding of each of them.

Should any questions arise, feel free to ask here.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

the initial backup as a "Reversed Incremental", I would like to take a full backup on a Friday or Saturday night and incremental's till the next weekend when I do another full, am I best to choose "Incremental"? Or can you recommend a more efficient plan?
Please be aware that with reversed incremental mode the need for performing active full backup isn’t that strong; it’s considered to be less important. So, weekly Full is nothing but an excess. You’ll be good with performing Full once every 1-3 months.

Thanks.
bucko77
Novice

Post by bucko77 »

Brilliant, thanks for the advice both, I've got a clearer picture now on the best fit for our scenario.
Stephen.