Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
wordy76
Lurker
Liked: never

restore points gone after deleting imported backup....

Post by wordy76 »

Hello,

I have an issue with my Veeam backup which I hope someone can help me with.

About one month ago we had to import and restore one of our 'Reversed incremental' Veeam backups. I was looking at the filesystem yesterday, and I realised that there was still the old backup file from that restore. I then checked the console, and the backup was still shown, under 'Backups > Imported' as expected. Back on the filesystem, in the same directory, were also my current backups - two vbk's, two vrb's, and one vbm.

In an attempt to do some housekeeping I thought I would like to delete the old backup, from the filesystem and the console. The creation dates on the file and the imported job in the console matched, so I was confident that I had identified the correct job, and file.

So in the console I selected the imported backup, and right-clicked - I had two options, 'Remove from backup', and 'Remove from disk'. I chose 'Remove from disk', but unfortunately the results were unexpected. It did not remove the old file, but it did remove my vbm file, along with all of my backup entries under 'Backups > Disk', in the console.

I then deleted the old backup file manually, and rescanned the repository through 'Backup Infrastructure > Backup Repositories' in the console. Unfortunately the backup entries are still missing - but I am left with four files on the filesystem, my two vbk's, and two vrb's - but no vbm.

A backup should run this evening, but I would like to get the entries of my current backups back into Veeam if possible. How can I do this?

Many thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: restore points gone after deleting imported backup....

Post by foggy »

You can import those backups by selecting the corresponding VBK file in the Import dialog (VBM file is not actually required for that). However, it would be much appreciated if you could open a case with our technical support to investigate the reason of this obviously wrong behavior. Thanks!
wordy76
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by wordy76 »

thanks foggy!

I guess that in the unlikely event that I will need to do a restore in the next day, then I can import the vbk.

I do hope that the next backup scheduled for tonight, will create a new vbm, and corresponding entry in the console.

I'll open a case as requested.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Most likely the next job run will be full, though.

Probably the issue is caused by the fact that you've copied the imported backup to the same folder where your current backups are stored.