Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
lm_ib
Influencer
Liked: never

Backup Topology

Post by lm_ib »

Hello,

I would like to get some ideas before finalizing this topology:

3 r710 machines storing production vm servers on local disks.
A 4th r710 machine is on stand-by for a failure of one of the 3 (this is a target machine for backup restores).
This 4th, target, machine is connected to an MD1000 unit with 15 X 2TB SAS drives, to function as a storage for veeam backup and replication backup copies.

Any comments on this would be appreciated.

A couple of questions:
1. What RAID would suit best on the MD1000?
2. Which option is better - a. install the veeam server on a physical machine, directly connected to the storage (speed up backups, but slow recovery to target?)
b. install the veeam server on a physical machine not physically connected to the storage.
c. install the veeam server on a virtual server on the target machine, which is directly connected to the storage.

All servers share a network link.

Licensing:
VMware Essentials + vCenter
Veeam Backup & Replication

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Backup Topology

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

1. If you're storing backups on this storage, then you would probably need to use Instant VM recovery feature when the disaster strikes, so I would suggest using RAID 10.
2. Why do you believe there (option a) will be slow recovery? You can deploy a virtual proxy server on the ESX(i) host to run VM restores through ESX(i) I/O stack directly.

Thank you!
lm_ib
Influencer
Liked: never

Post by lm_ib »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Hello,

2. Why do you believe there (option a) will be slow recovery? You can deploy a virtual proxy server on the ESX(i) host to run VM restores through ESX(i) I/O stack directly.

Thank you!
Hey Vitaliy,

Thanks for your replay.

It will be slower, naturally, since the storage is not DAS, and the i/o is through the network.
In regards to the proxy idea, wouldn't I need to deploy one proxy servers on each of the esxi machines?

Also, no problem licensing with VMware Essentials and Veeam Essentials, right? ...the target machine needs no licenses for VM and Veeam?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

lm_ib wrote:In regards to the proxy idea, wouldn't I need to deploy one proxy servers on each of the esxi machines?
Yes, that's correct, since your hosts are using local storage to run production VMs. If you do not have any spare Windows licenses, then you may want to re-use any existing VM as a proxy server.
lm_ib wrote:Also, no problem licensing with VMware Essentials and Veeam Essentials, right? ...the target machine needs no licenses for VM and Veeam?
Yes, and actually you do not need to have VMware Essentials to purchase Veeam Essentials. Follow this link for further details: http://www.veeam.com/smb-vmware-hyper-v ... s/faq.html