Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Ultra_Cool
Expert
Liked: 3 times

Re-sync backup after changing IP on host

Post by Ultra_Cool »

Hi,

Can I re-sync backup after changing IP address on host? I cannot change ip under backup infrastructure and that means that I have to delete "old host" and add it again. Can I keep backup what I have and re-sync or I have to take new backup and after that be able to sync.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Re-sync backup after changing IP on host

Post by veremin »

Yep. You can add a new host to VB&R, recreate a given job and map it to existing backup.

More information regarding backup mapping functionality can be found in the corresponding User Guide (p.127).

Hope this helps.
Thanks..
Ultra_Cool
Expert

Post by Ultra_Cool »

Hi,
I found that where I can specify mapping ( Ex. local repository where I have backup---and i get message that that backup is used for another job etc.) but when I start it it sends whole image instead for changes. What can be wrong there or is it like that that backup sends whole image if I add new host.

Another question: When I replicate VM does that repliction job take image from backup or from VM itself? And if I change that I get replication every hour should I get only changes every hour or should it transfer it 2 times a day. (My backup job is every 12 hours)
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

Hi,
I found that where I can specify mapping ( Ex. local repository where I have backup---and i get message that that backup is used for another job etc.) but when I start it it sends whole image instead for changes. What can be wrong there or is it like that that backup sends whole image if I add new host.
So, you’ve tried to map newly-created job to existing backup, got the message regarding this backup file being used by another job, and then, anyway, started the job? Am I right?

Then, it’s totally expected that VB&R started to perform full backup, instead of incremental one, since mapping functionality failed (corresponding message).

In order for mapping functionality to work properly, you should firstly delete existing job that points to this backup file, and only then map newly-created one.

Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Ultra_Cool wrote:Another question: When I replicate VM does that repliction job take image from backup or from VM itself?
If you are talking about VM snapshot, then it is taken during each backup or replication job run.
Ultra_Cool wrote:And if I change that I get replication every hour should I get only changes every hour or should it transfer it 2 times a day. (My backup job is every 12 hours)
Only changes, in case CBT is enabled for this job.
Ultra_Cool
Expert

Post by Ultra_Cool »

Thank you Eremin.

Foggy: If I run backup 2 times per day and I run replication every 30 min does that mean that it will replicate changes (if I have enabled CBT) every 30 min even if I have backup 2 times per day. When I start replication does it gonna take it from backup job or it will communicate with VM?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Ultra_Cool wrote:Foggy: If I run backup 2 times per day and I run replication every 30 min does that mean that it will replicate changes (if I have enabled CBT) every 30 min even if I have backup 2 times per day. When I start replication does it gonna take it from backup job or it will communicate with VM?
Ah, did not get that you were talking about two jobs, sorry.

Both jobs will run on their respective schedules and process only changes. In case one of the jobs is active, another job targeting the same VM will be placed in the queue waiting for the first job to complete. Each job will create its own snapshot ("communicate with VM", in your terms).

There are a couple of existing topics on that:

Replication and backup of VM at the same time
Replication Job and backup job overlaps

Thanks.