Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
yrrah2010
Influencer
Liked: never

ESX Host NTP Status

Post by yrrah2010 »

Does Veeam monitors standard the NTP status of an ESX host, or do i have to set a rule by myself? I don't know wich rule type and parameter settings i must use, i can't find it on this community or the www.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: ESX Host NTP Status

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Harry,

Veeam Monitor uses performance counters/metrics or certain events to trigger an alarm. There is no out-of-the-box functionality to monitor NTP daemon status, besides I couldn't find any event that is being thrown by ESX host when NTP is out of sync, meaning that you cannot create such alarm within the application.

On top of that, if you specify your Domain Controllers on the Time Configuration -> NTP Daemon (ntpd) Options -> NTP Servers then you would rarely (or even never) should get out of sync situations. I've done that in our labs, and it works for me with no complaints yet.

Thank you.
crmand
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: craig mandelblit

Can we monitor NTP time accuracy

Post by crmand »

[merged]

Have had issue with NTP being off by more than a few minutes and causing problems on our ESXi installs. Can Veam Monitor run checks to monitor time accuracy as compared to the monitor machine? Something like the check_ntp that you can run from Nagios.
zak2011
Veteran
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: Arun

Post by zak2011 »

One of the ESX hosts hosting our DHCP servers went out of sync which created some problems on the network.
Any way to have the NTP service status to be monitored thru Veeam One?

Thanks,
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Arun, currently this is not possible, as if you're out-of-sync there is no related event that we can collect from VMware API, but I will ask our research team to take a look at this.
zak2011
Veteran
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: Arun

Post by zak2011 »

Thanks Vitaliy