Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
itsquared
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: itsquared

How do you do your Cloud Backups?

Post by itsquared »

Hey All,

Relatively new here. Have VEEAM Cloud edition with Amazon. All my veeam jobs are Incremental with Synth Fulls once a week with the Transform previous full chain box checked.

Some backups are only a few hundred GB, some are a few TB (for a full).

I'd like to know how you deal with your offsite backups using Cloud, here is a thought I had...

Set two cloud backup jobs per Veeam job. One backup job weekly for the full to go offsite to cloud and one backup job daily for only the incremental files.\

My issue with this is that I would be sending a new full up each week and that gets costly SUPER FAST.. is there any way to have a single full in the cloud?

Thanks in advance!
itsquared
Novice

Re: How do you do your Cloud Backups?

Post by itsquared »

bump
tuscani
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Justin Durrant

Post by tuscani »

we are not using cloud edition.. However, right now we just seed\backup and\or replicate to another DR location which happens to be a remote office.
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Hi,
actually the cloud edition does not support block-level replication, so each veeam backup file needs to be sent in full at each execution. This exclude the use of tools like reverse incremental for example. You should use forward incremental for sure, and obviously the full file created weekly needs to be sent cross the wire.
You can optimize the backup files you are creating locally by configuring maximum deduplication, and maybe to split some huge jobs into smaller ones.

Another alternative would be to use a remote server at DR site (even a VM in AWS for example), install the repository role on it, and then be able to run reverse incremental towards "the cloud". Storage prices on the other side are obviously higher than simple storage services.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
itsquared
Novice

Post by itsquared »

Hmm, so how do people use Cloud Edition to backup their data? It doesnt really seem like it is useful at all...
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

For sure a viable scenario is when you do not have access to some remote repository, and the only thing you have is a remote storage service like one of those listed into the Cloud Edition.
For sure, if (when?) they will add block-level incremental, it will become a really "feature to have".

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1