Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
TimBackup
Novice
Liked: never

Re-trying a restore job possible?

Post by TimBackup »

I broke this out into a separate thread from my feature request since I am not sure if it is something that is even possible to implement.

We had a full VM recovery fail after it was running for ~19 hours. We had a few that failed out at the same time due to what appears to have been a memory leak. Most of the VMs being recovered were small but the biggest VM I was trying to restore failed with about 100GB left. I looked for a retry and was not able to find anything. Is this something that would be possible to implement? If so, consider this a feature request :D I am not entirely certain if that is a possibility though. I know that Networker has the capability to resume a restore but that is the only other software I have used for VM Backups.

In case anyone else has this issue where an entire VM restore fails, I was able to just restore the last VMDK that failed by doing a VM file restore and the server booted right up with all of the data. I should have done that for all of the VMs that failed but being sleep deprived at the time I was not thinking all that quickly and didn't get the idea until I had cleaned up the failed VMs to retry the job.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Re-trying a restore job possible?

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Tim,

Retry option sounds useful in case network issues, however if the backup file was corrupted for some reason - it would keep retying and failing. But anyhow it’s also valid use case and we would look into this.
Thank you!