Job Management question

Post by dstevenson »

Greetings,

I have a job management question.
1. If I create a job with a host as the object
a. Will it automatically backup a new vm
i. Yes or no
b. What will Veeam do if a vm is vMotioned to another server
i. Will it create a new full backup or is it smart enough to create a new differential
2. I have approximately 200 machines
a. What is max number of suggested vm’s per job
i. I am doing 25

I would like to do host based backups so I wouldn’t have to watch for new vm’s being created.

Thank you for your input
Dana
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Job Management question

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Dana,
Thank you for your question!

If you select Host as a container during creating backup job all VM's that would be created pass some time will added to this job automatically. However if you vMotion one VM from the host you back up it would be also excluded from the backup job, the backup files would remain on the repository you selected. So it would be possible to restore that VM even if it was moved. No new backup or differential would be created only backup files created during last job run before VM was vMotioned.

For the VM per job question - there is no limit, moreover with more VMs with identical OS you would get better deduplication ration and backup would take less space on your repository. However, some people may find this approach unreliable as it would look like keeping all eggs in one basket. So at the end of the road it up to you what scenario better applies to your infrastructure.

If you still have any questions or need any assistance - do not hesitate to post to this forum,
Cheers!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

dstevenson wrote:1. If I create a job with a host as the object
a. Will it automatically backup a new vm
i. Yes or no
b. What will Veeam do if a vm is vMotioned to another server
i. Will it create a new full backup or is it smart enough to create a new differential
The VM will be subjected to a Deleted VMs retention period specified in the job settings and removed from all newly created backup files. It will be also automatically picked up by the job for the corresponding host (where it was moved to) and full backup will be performed. Backing up by host is not a best practice in environments where vMotion or DRS are in use. Probably, backing up by datastore or some other container would be a better option.
dstevenson wrote:2. I have approximately 200 machines
a. What is max number of suggested vm’s per job
i. I am doing 25
When considering the number of VMs per job, you should also keep in mind such things as jobs concurrency (remember that VMs are processed sequentially within a job) and memory requirements for the Veeam agents.
dstevenson
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Dana Stevenson

Post by dstevenson »

Thank you for your input.

At this point I think I am going to stay with a manual management.

Again thank you for your input.