Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
leduke
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: alex

Synthetic Full over WAN

Post by leduke »

Hello.

I would like to perform a backup of 5 VM (3.2To) over WAN access. How can I do a synthetic full backup ?

What is the best configuration for WAN and slow bandwidth backups ?

Thank you.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Synthetic Full over WAN

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Alex,
Thank you for your question.

The best way to run a backup over a slow link is to set the backup job as incremental backup with scheduled synthetic full backup (forever incremental). This could be set up during job configuration at the step Storage > Advanced Settings.

When you perform synthetic full backup, Veeam Backup & Replication does not retrieve VM data from the source datastore (volume).Instead, it “synthesizes” a full backup from data you already have on the backup repository. Veeam B&R accesses the previous full backup file and a chain of subsequent increments on the backup repository, consolidates VM data from these files and writes consolidated data into a new full backup file. As a result, the created synthetic full backup file contains the same data you would have if you created a full backup in the regular manner.

Also you may like to look at v6 - How to have a local and off-site backup copy? topic.
Thank you.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Just make sure you use an agent-enabled backup repository (i.e. Windows or Linux-type), this will enable synthetic backup activity to be performed locally on the backup target instead of sending data across WAN.

Typically, among basic recommendations for backup over WAN is to select "WAN target" storage optimization option, better compression level, and use backup seeding.
leduke
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: alex

Post by leduke »

Thank you d.popov
foggy wrote:Just make sure you use an agent-enabled backup repository (i.e. Windows or Linux-type), this will enable synthetic backup activity to be performed locally on the backup target instead of sending data across WAN.

Typically, among basic recommendations for backup over WAN is to select "WAN target" storage optimization option, better compression level, and use backup seeding.

So if my target repository is a NAS, I cannot use "incremental backup with scheduled synthetic full backup (forever incremental)" ???

Thank you !
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Just add the NAS as a Linux-type backup repository (in case it has ordinary Linux installed as SSH and Perl are required) and you're good to go. Otherwise, you can mount NAS to any Linux box and add this box as repository.