Full Name: PGITDept

Backup Failed - VSS caused machine to shut down

Post by pgitdept »

Good morning all.

Veeam Backup & Replication 5.0.1.198
Windows Server 2008 R2 throughout
Direct from SAN used
ESXi/vSphere 4.1 U1

Last night backup of one of our VM's failed. It would appear that Veeam started to back the machine up, initiated a VSS Copy at which point the VM powered itself down as if the plug had been removed. Veeam re-tried about 15 minutes later and successfully backed up the machine in a powered off state.

There are no errors reported in Windows Event Log. The Veeam backup report contains the following:

Code: Select all

Freezing guest operating system
RPC function call failed. Function name: [GetFreezeState]. Target machine: [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]. 
RPC error:The remote procedure call failed. 
Code: 1726
The last entry on the target machine in the event log that I can find prior to the machine being powered off is

Code: Select all

The Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider service entered the running state.
In the vSphere Client, I can't go back through the Tasks/Events list to the point in time when the machine powered off. It's the first time this has happened and backups otherwise have been completing successfully for months. Obviously we will be monitoring this tonight however I was after checking that this is likely to be one of those "One Off" things that happens.

Thanks in advance.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup Failed - VSS caused machine to shut down

Post by foggy »

Most likely the reason of VM shut down is not Veeam. It could be lack of disk space, for example, or something else. You can review VM logs located in the folder where this particular VM resides for more detailed information. Thanks.
pgitdept
Influencer
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: PGITDept

Post by pgitdept »

Foggy,

I have gone through and checked the log files from within the folder and there is nothing for around this time. The VMware logs seem a strange configuration any way with them being odd days here and there.

As for drive space, there is plenty of space available for the VM, within the iSCSI volume, datastore.

Fingers crossed this works tonight :)
yamy125
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Tom

Post by yamy125 » 2 people like this post

Old topic, but saw this again today running 6.5 and on a 2012 server. I've corrected it as follows:

Ensure no Veeam jobs are running that could be referencing the troubled VM. Log in on OS that is failing to backup/replicate with this error.

Check to see if a service exists called 'VeeamVssSupport'

If it does, stop the service and delete it with a 'sc deleted VeeamVssSupport' command.

Browse to C:\Windows and delete the folder there called VeeamVssSupport.

Retry the failed job and it should now run through OK.

Basically this folder and service should be temporary and shouldn't exist post-job if all is running OK. Looks like some sort of corruption which causes the service to stick around, which in turn causes the failures on next attempted run.

Hope it helps.

Cheers,

Tom
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Top,

Thank you for the heads-up. Much appreciated!