Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
norelco
Influencer
Liked: never

v7 - restore from offsite repo

Post by norelco »

Hello

I'm looking to backup to a repository in other site, but there isn't a lot of bandwidth between the two sites. From my understanding, there are 3 options available to me:
1 - Replicate VMs to remote site, then backup at remote site using proxy + repo at the remote site (most bandwidth friendly I think)
2 - Backup the live VMs using a proxy at live site, sending to a repo at the live site (not very bandwidth friendly)
3 - Backup the live VMs using a proxy at live site, sending data to a local repo, using v7 Copy Backup job to remote repository (very bandwidth friendly if used with wan acceleration)

I think I've got the backup and off-siting bit straight in my head, but I'm not sure about the practicality of restoring from these backups.... It's likely that we will need to support item level restore for Windows and Linux VMs, complete VM restores (with instant recovery ideally) and maybe item level restore from Exchange. If we need to do an item-level restore for a file from a windows VM, will it need to copy the latest backup of that VM's drive back to the Veeam Server in the live site to be mounted and do the restore (in which case I guess it would be very slow), or does it go through the proxy in the remote site to pick out the files to restore? Is there any way to do instant VM recovery (this is PowerNFS right?) from a backup in a remote site? If this kind of operation is slow over WAN links, can the WAN acceleration feature speed up these restore procedures?

N
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: v7 - restore from offsite repo

Post by foggy »

Hello.
norelco wrote: 1 - Replicate VMs to remote site, then backup at remote site using proxy + repo at the remote site (most bandwidth friendly I think)
2 - Backup the live VMs using a proxy at live site, sending to a repo at the live site (not very bandwidth friendly)
In fact, these two options are similar in terms of data transferred between sites as both types of jobs (remote backup and remote replication) will process the same VM and will have to transfer similar amount of data.
norelco wrote:If we need to do an item-level restore for a file from a windows VM, will it need to copy the latest backup of that VM's drive back to the Veeam Server in the live site to be mounted and do the restore (in which case I guess it would be very slow), or does it go through the proxy in the remote site to pick out the files to restore?
For Windows native FLR, backup files from the remote repository will be mounted to the backup server. First, a few MFT blocks will be transferred to the main site so that Veeam B&R could display the file structure of the backed up VM. Then only blocks belonging to the restored files will be pulled over the link between sites during actual restore.

For Other OS FLR, backup files are mounted to the vPower NFS server, which can be selected to run on the remote repository itself to eliminate traffic between sites.
norelco wrote:Is there any way to do instant VM recovery (this is PowerNFS right?) from a backup in a remote site? If this kind of operation is slow over WAN links, can the WAN acceleration feature speed up these restore procedures?
As you can run the vPower NFS service on any Windows server, you can set it up to run locally in the remote site for better performance.
yizhar
Service Provider
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: Yizhar Hurwitz

Post by yizhar »

Hi.

I think that your missing one point.
You should have an onsite backup, and also some kind of offsite backup/dr site .
The onsite backup is used in most cases, such as restoring single items or full VM.
The offsite/remote copy is used in rare situations such as DR - for example power outage of primary site for several days, or stolen equipment.

If you have only the remote offsite backup over slow WAN, this is not a good design.
If you have both onsite and remote backup copies, then:
1. good for you.
2. Use onsite copy for normal situations.
3. Plan the use of remote copy mostly for DR scenarios, for example how to recover data/full VM when the primary onsite backup server is not available, nor part or all of the other servers.

Bye
Yizhar
norelco
Influencer

Post by norelco »

I think that your missing one point.
You should have an onsite backup, and also some kind of offsite backup/dr site .
Absolutely, there will be onsite backups as well but my question was specifically to do with restoring from an offsite repository.

Dave
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

norelco wrote:Absolutely, there will be onsite backups as well but my question was specifically to do with restoring from an offsite repository.
Dave, did I answer your questions or is there something that you need to clarify further?
norelco
Influencer

Post by norelco »

Hi foggy

thanks, your response did answer my questions... I was just responding to yizhar's comment as well :)

N