Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
infused
Service Provider
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Hayden Kirk

Veeam backup to network share, downsides?

Post by infused »

Hi Guys,

We currently backup to a 4TB iscsi share on a nas. This works fine. However, because of various issues, we need to take off-site backups manually using a usb drive. Copying the data manually from the iscsi share is painfully slow (30mb/s), even though the server can backup to it at 100mb/s (one network hop instead of two, the downside of iscsi).

I now want to change to using network shares so I can plug a usb drive in to our nas and do a direct copy (at blazing speeds).

However, what are the downsides of me doing this? I see you need vPower NFS installed to take advantage of network shares, but how is my day to day usage of veeam going to change? Is it still possible to do all my existing restore tasks etc? Can you please list any downsides I should take in to consideration?

Thanks
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Veeam backup to network share, downsides?

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Hayden,

vPrower NFS could be installed on Windows server only, and CIFS(windows share) is not the option - so if you use the CIFS instead you will lose the following advantages of the NFS enabled repository:

The vPower technology is used to perform the following tasks:
• Recovery Verification (SureBackup)
• Instant VM Recovery
• Multi-OS File-Level Recovery
• Universal Application-Item Recovery (U-AIR)

You can still use iscsi target as a repository and perform a file copy over USB attached directly to NAS as you mentioned - in this case you would not lose any functionality described above.
VladV
Expert
Liked: 25 times
Full Name: Vlad Valeriu Velciu

Post by VladV »

I used a NAS as a CIFS backup repository and I had no issues using surebackup and instant vm recovery. I may not understand your configuration correctly though.

Second, USB 2.0 is limited to aprox. 30MB/s even if you have a speedy HDD plugged in. So plugging it in directly to your NAS won't improve your speeds significantly.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Vlad,
Thank you for pointing this out.

Hayden,
I forgot to mention that in case you are using CIFS the NFS server role would be taken by Veeam B&R server. For the metrics - Vlad posted perfect feedback.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

VladV wrote:I used a NAS as a CIFS backup repository and I had no issues using surebackup and instant vm recovery. I may not understand your configuration correctly though.
Then you just have vPrower NFS service installed on some other Windows server.
VladV
Expert
Liked: 25 times
Full Name: Vlad Valeriu Velciu

Post by VladV »

Yes, i have vpower nfs installed on the v&m backup server on a windows machine and i have a smb/cifs share as one of our Backup repositories alongside other local repositories on iscsi nas volumes. I haven't noticed major performance differences between the two protocols both being hosted by two identical NAS devices (2 x synology ds1512+).
infused
Service Provider
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Hayden Kirk

Post by infused »

Interesting posts guys.

iscsi has a cpu overhead, which isn't a problem on my nas since it's a quad core. I've noticed this on less powerful nas's that have atom processors though.

My concern was around:

The vPower technology is used to perform the following tasks:
• Recovery Verification (SureBackup)
• Instant VM Recovery
• Multi-OS File-Level Recovery
• Universal Application-Item Recovery (U-AIR)

So, if I use a network share and have vPower NFS on the Veeam server, these technologies are still available, just as if I was using iscsi? Or am I misunderstanding something here.

Also my nas has USB2 which sucks, as the caddy is usb3. Something I will need to look in to. I get 100mb/s to the iscsi drive. However, I have to share this drive for me to be able to copy to usb, so there are two hops instead of one if that makes sense. Reason for using a network share is I can access it directly and get full speed to my computer which has usb3.

I will have to think ahead about a off-site solution.I have veeam installed on our vcenter server at the moment (have to due to constraints). We are looking at breaking these out on to seperate, physical servers (currently a vm). Problem is the about of data we have is fast approaching 3tb. Keen to hear how other people are taking data off-site without using wan replication.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

So, if I use a network share and have vPower NFS on the Veeam server, these technologies are still available, just as if I was using iscsi? Or am I misunderstanding something here.
Exactly.
I will have to think ahead about a off-site solution.I have veeam installed on our vcenter server at the moment (have to due to constraints). We are looking at breaking these out on to seperate, physical servers (currently a vm). Problem is the about of data we have is fast approaching 3tb. Keen to hear how other people are taking data off-site without using wan replication.
For the WAN optimization we recently announced WAN accelerator upcoming with new Veeam B&R 7 - designed specifically to optimize offsite backup to Veeam speed.

Also these topics might be the place of interest:
veeam and offsite dr and backups
off-site backup ideas

Hope this is what you are looking for,
Cheers!